Acer Aspire 5552 - Any good for video editing?

medsoluk

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
Hello people,

I am thinking of purchasing an Acer Aspire 5552 laptop and I am wondering if it will be any good at video editing using Sony Vegas or Adobe Premier Pro.

The main specs of the laptop are:

- Quad-core AMD Phenom™ II X4 N930 processor - 2GHz - 2MB L2 cache memory

- Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit

- Memory: 3GB

- Hard drive: 640GB

- Graphics card: Integrated, ATI Radeon™ HD 4250, 256MB of dedicated system memory

Thanks,

Laurence :)

medsoluk

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
Here's the minimum requirements for Sony Vegas Pro 10 and Adobe Premiere Pro CS5:

Sony Vegas:

•Microsoft® Windows® XP 32-bit SP3, Windows Vista® 32-bit or 64-bit SP2, or Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit
•2 GHz processor (multicore or multiprocessor CPU recommended for HD or stereoscopic 3D)
•400 MB hard-disk space for program installation
•1 GB RAM (2 GB recommended)
•OHCI-compatible i.LINK® connector/IEEE-1394DV card (for DV and HDV capture and print-to-tape)
•USB 2.0 connection (for importing from AVCHD, XDCAM EX, NXCAM, or DVD camcorders)
•Windows-compatible sound card
•DVD-ROM drive (for installation from a DVD only)
•Supported CD-recordable drive (for CD burning only)
•Supported DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW (for DVD burning only)
•Supported BD-R/-RE drive (for Blu-ray Disc™ burning only)
•Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 (included on application disc)
•Apple® QuickTime® 7.1.6 or later
•Internet Connection (for Gracenote MusicID Service)

Premiere Pro:

•Intel® Core™2 Duo or AMD Phenom® II processor; 64-bit support required
•64-bit operating system required: Microsoft® Windows Vista® Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise with Service Pack 1 or Windows® 7
•2GB of RAM (4GB or more recommended)
•10GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on removable flash storage devices)
•7200 RPM hard drive for editing compressed video formats; RAID 0 for uncompressed
•1280x900 display with OpenGL 2.0-compatible graphics card
•Adobe-certified GPU card for GPU–accelerated performance; visit www.adobe.com/go/premiere_systemreqs for the latest list of supported cards
•Adobe-certified card for capture and export to tape for SD/HD workflows
•OHCI-compatible IEEE 1394 port for DV and HDV capture, export to tape, and transmit to DV device
•Sound card compatible with ASIO protocol or Microsoft Windows Driver Model
•DVD-ROM drive compatible with dual-layer DVDs (DVD+-R burner for burning DVDs; Blu-ray burner for creating Blu-ray Disc media)
•QuickTime 7.6.2 software required for QuickTime features
•Adobe® Flash® Player 10 software required to play back DVD projects exported as SWF files
•Broadband Internet connection required for online services and to validate Subscription Edition (if applicable) on an ongoing basis*

Ari3sgr3gg0

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Sorry I'm replying so late but just so you don't worry that laptop should handle video editing just fine though you might notice it running a little on the hot side. Congrats on your new laptop purchase and I hope it gives you years of good service :)

medsoluk

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011

Actually just bought ASUS K53E - it's brill and it's made of Aluminium so it keeps cool.

It's got an i5 processor with TurboBoost! Might upgrade RAM from 3 to 6 - what do you think?

medsoluk

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011

Also tested it on Sony Vegas, Premiere and Pinnacle Studio.... works fine :)

Ari3sgr3gg0

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
The ram upgrade I'd definitely do since video editing really likes to eat it up, and the i5 is quite an upgrade over the phenom so good job there :)

greatforce

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
I have seen this laptop working and it isn't great.
The cheap CPU isn't giving the best.
The GPU is partly build in in the CPU, or in other words rubish.
The GPU is very variable, in other words one time the GPU/CPU combination is working and another time the GPU is working.

This is a laptop I personally don't recommend.
Also ATI integrated tells a lot, never buy integrated graphics you'll always end up with ***.