Acer Aspire 5740 not showing blue light when switched on.

chriscross2

Prominent
Jan 19, 2019
My laptop is an Acer Aspire 5740 and is about eight years old. When plugged in at the mains the blue power light doesn’t appear. The power cord and adaptor both ok and work on another laptop. I’m not happy to scrap it as contains important data and photos. Can you help please?

Solution
If you can't power it on and it doesn't appear to respond to any power input, it's probably the board. You can still get your data if the drive(s) is intact, just pull it and connect it to something else via a USB adapter.

You can get a replacement board online, but you might want to have a technician do a diagnostic on it first and have them replace the board if needed.

chriscross2

Prominent
Jan 19, 2019

No the laptop doesn't work and charge. Seems completely dead. No response whatever from connection to mains and presume the battery is completely run down. When the laptop was last used a few weeks ago it it was noticeably very slow/sluggish almost moribund.

If you can't power it on and it doesn't appear to respond to any power input, it's probably the board. You can still get your data if the drive(s) is intact, just pull it and connect it to something else via a USB adapter.

You can get a replacement board online, but you might want to have a technician do a diagnostic on it first and have them replace the board if needed.

Solution

chriscross2

Prominent
Jan 19, 2019
Thanks for your considered response, Prostar. I had a nasty feeling it was something serious but unfamiliar with computer problems. I had noticed it becoming slower with use and had to coax it into action with Norton security each time I started it. Even thought it was possibly due to viruses/malware. Sounds expensive to put right but will get a diagnostic done first of all. Thanks again.