Acer Aspire 5740g motherboard troubleshooting

Karma_Roam

Estimable
Sep 21, 2015
Hello everybody, as of now it's almost 4 months I have my laptop screen completely dead (black screen). I tried almost everything till now, also tried to flash the bios but even when pressing fn+esc the power led would not start blinking, since that no bios Crisdisk USB was ever recognized. It did work for the last time while watching a video on nowvideo, hdmi cable connected to a flat tv monitor. After 5 minutes it did make white strips and then freeze. After that I force shutdowned it and it never worked again since then.
After all this time, instead of disposing of it, I finally decided to open it to search for hardware damage, and I wish I didn't:
-While unscrewing it I found a stuck screw and had to remove it with pliers. It had a golden nut blocking it from the behind, that nut held in place by a broken metallic ring. In doing that I think I caused some damage to the circuits. (Image 1).
-I found bios battery out of place, popping out as I'm finally removing the lower case and bios battery holder broken. (Image 2).
-Noticed termal paste almost completely gone from the processor and the video card.
-Didn't analise the elecronic compounds nore with multimeter nore with a motherboard test card.

Image 1- Notice damage to top right corner of FBRAM1!!
http://imgur.com/y5UlfcQ
Image 2- Lower left battery holder broken, top, both completely eaten.
http://imgur.com/hghPHiP
Image 3- Lesser problem. (Termal paste lack)
http://imgur.com/qYAslE9

Thank you for interest, waiting for an answer! Hope I can repair it or at least make an estimation of the problem and relative repair cost and if it's worth paying since the pc age (seven years)

Solution
The white stripes on an external monitor would indicate a probable issue with the GPU on the MoBo, The other issues you have shown and the GPU issue would deem it probably in need of a new mobo. with the age of the laptop and the cost of the actual board, it's probably not cost effective to replace the board. The money could be better used in buying something that works, be it new or refurbished. on top of that MoBo replacements are not always the easiest repairs. I've had customers try to do them and they end up killing the new board for lack of experience in how to do the repair.
The white stripes on an external monitor would indicate a probable issue with the GPU on the MoBo, The other issues you have shown and the GPU issue would deem it probably in need of a new mobo. with the age of the laptop and the cost of the actual board, it's probably not cost effective to replace the board. The money could be better used in buying something that works, be it new or refurbished. on top of that MoBo replacements are not always the easiest repairs. I've had customers try to do them and they end up killing the new board for lack of experience in how to do the repair.

Solution

Karma_Roam

Estimable
Sep 21, 2015
So in your opinion, the best thing would be to sell the sellable and buy one new pc? Or would it be better to buy a new mother board only and reuse the i3 processor? ... I hope that doesn't cost as much as all the PC. In that case, am in for a try, what should one do?

If the parts are in good condition, you could probably part it and sell the good parts i.e. Keyboard, plastics, hinges etc... and get some money from that.
if it's only an i3 processor, you can find new i3 laptops with a newer generation processor for around $300 bucks. From looking it up, I see the mobo on yours, Used runs about $160 bucks, and New around $220. I would be hard pressed to try a used board, as it might do the same thing with the GPU issue. Save the $220 or so you would spend on the board, Sell the parts you can for another $50-$100 Approx. and you have enough for something newer with a newer generation processor. At least that's what I would do if it were myself.