Acer Aspire 5750 problem

Christy Moore

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
My laptop is just about 2 years old. I've just replaced the screen and the battery and now something else is wrong with it. The power jack had come undone before, and I had it resoldered and it worked for a little while, but now when Iplug my charger in, the power light and the battery light start to flash on and off but it stops when i unplug the charger. If the laptop is off, I plug my charger in and it says its charging but after about 5 seconds the blue power light and the orange battery light start to flash and it doesnt charge. Whats can i do to fix this once and for all?

Solution
Sounds like recent tinkering might have dislodged the power jack again. Also, look for cracks in the PCB that may interrupt the circuit next to the jack, not just the jack itself.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Sounds like recent tinkering might have dislodged the power jack again. Also, look for cracks in the PCB that may interrupt the circuit next to the jack, not just the jack itself.

Solution

Christy Moore

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013

I'm sort of unfamiliar with the terminology. What is PCB? Also when I took it apart myself just to take a look inside I saw that the cord itself (red cord) looked kinda stretched and you could see the red cords. Here is an example image from google of what I mean. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Huzzak/100_4106.jpg

Could I just need to completely replace that piece? Or is there a quick fix of some kind? In either case I'd like to do it myself...is it easy? I can completely disassemble the laptop itself already, just don't know exactly how to replace this piece.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010

You can just buy a new power jack and solder the wires to it, making sure the keep the polarity (minus on the outside, plus on inside, or the other way around, according to your specs). It should not be too hard. From the looks of it, the wires actually use a plug in connector, in that case you can crimp the connectors on the wires' end and then just plug the connector onto the jack's terminals. Again, not a big deal, since you opened up the case this should be easy.