Acer Aspire 5920G screen blank, fan stop spinning

Licin

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015
Hi All

My laptop, Acer Aspire 5920G, with Geforce 8600M GT 256MB GPU showing black screen while i turn it on, the fan spins for about a few seconds then off. Hard Disk indicator beep for a while then off.

I have tried, unplug the power connector and battery, push and hold power button for 50 seconds, then plug everything back again, still zero result.

I have tried connecting it with external monitor also zero result.

I read about baking the VGA, however i have no oven to do it, if it is necessary then i have to call up some friend and asking to borrow their oven, hehe...what do you guys think? is it due to the GPU ?

Any suggestion to fix this ?

Thanks a lot guys..

Solution

Hmm that's weird, it's almost like a permanent sleep or hibernation mode :pt1cable:

When you said you did the power discharge sequence you disconnected the AC adapter, removed the battery and "held the power button down for 50 seconds", try it again but after removing the AC adapter and battery, press the power button about 10 times, and on the 10th time hold it down for 30 seconds. Then connect the AC adapter ONLY (leave the battery out for now) and try...

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
Is there an indicator LED that lights up when you connect the AC adapter. If some things are powering up for a brief instant and then shutting off (fan, HDD, etc) it sounds like there's just no power. If it was the battery you should still be able to run it with just the AC adapter connected, so check and see if the charge indicator LED lights up when you connect the power adapter

Licin

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015
i have additional info to share, when i would like to turn off the laptop at this state of screen blank, i only need 1 push on the power button. Unlike the usual hard restart when the laptop is still fine, i need to push and hold the power button until the laptop restart.

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009

Hmm that's weird, it's almost like a permanent sleep or hibernation mode :pt1cable:

When you said you did the power discharge sequence you disconnected the AC adapter, removed the battery and "held the power button down for 50 seconds", try it again but after removing the AC adapter and battery, press the power button about 10 times, and on the 10th time hold it down for 30 seconds. Then connect the AC adapter ONLY (leave the battery out for now) and try powering it on

Solution

Licin

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015
Dear Moderator,

Ouch, i wrongly click the solution bar, is it possible to cancel it ?

Dear JeckeL

I will try your advise as soon as i am free and report back soon.

Licin

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015
@ JeckeL

I have tried your tips... My screen still blanks and fan still doing the same thing, on for a few seconds, then off.
Do i need to bake motherboard too ?
I have not tried clear Cmos though, is it necessary at this stage ?