Acer aspire 7540g strange lines on screen

ccecroydon

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
Hi

My acer aspire 7540g laptop is displaying vertical column of stranges lines down the middle of the after about 20mins of watching a DVD or playing a game.

The GFX card is a ATI Mobility HD 4570. I originally thought it was a driver issuse so I updated the drivers from the ATI website but alas it is still having the same problem. The weird thing is that the lines dont display on an external monitor only on the laptop screen.

The laptop base isnt hot either so I dont think its overheating etc

Any one have any ideas what it might be?

ccecroydon

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
pic added

DSCF0023.jpg

AntiZig

Distinguished
Your laptop LCD screen is going bad (although it could be the cable connection too), you will need to replace it. If you feel up to the task for DYI, youtube for disassembly videos, if not, you'll have to take it/mail in for service.

Kevish

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
In your case, it is not your onboard Video card if not the external monitor would have face the same issue, might be your LCD itself when it tries to render too much.
And if it happens only while watching movies or playing games, then it might not be the cable as the cable can move at any moment not only when watching movies!

ccecroydon

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
surely thats a bad design of the screen. Another interesting point is that if I start moving the screen up or down or pressing on the top of the screen it sometimes makes the issue go away for a little bit

AntiZig

Distinguished
yeah, there's faulty contacts somewhere at the top where you're pressing it. I totally agree with you, that's bad design, but I don't have any view on how often people encounter this issue.

ccecroydon

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
well I checked the cable that connects the screen to the mobo today for anything unusual and disconnected it/reconnected it. After about 4hrs though the problem is appearing again.

It just baffling because its right in the middle of the screen and no where else. Its not like ive hit the screen either otherwise it would appear from when I turn on the laptop. :/

zalittle

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
Acer has major build problems. I had a 7740 Acer I bought for the wife last year. 2 days after the warranty was up the motherboard is fried. Now I need a motherboard.
Sell your Acer and get a better laptop. I got the wife a Lenovo with a 3 year warranty.