Acer Aspire 7551 Black Screen

Billwirz

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
Hi,

My Acer Aspire 7551 was working fine today. I shut the lid, which hibernates it, and then a few hours later tried to power it on.

The lights indicating that the battery is charging come on. The cpu fan makes noise and I'm quite sure I can hear hard drive noises.

However, the screen will not display anything.

I've tried taking the battery out and pressing the power button on for a while. I've reseated the hard drive and the RAM. Tried using without battery. I've also tried connecting to an external monitor and restarting and I've tried pressing F2 (for BIOS) while restarting...

But no luck. Nothing is diplayed.

At this point all I can think of is paying a local technician and maybe getting a diagnosis.

Thanks for your time!

Phoenix117

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

I have the same laptop and what i did to fix it was go to acer.com and go to the Support Section, and download the new BIOS updates. Fixes this problem.

Billwirz

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
Phoenix117, thanks for your reply!

How did you install the BIOS updates? I have no idea how to do that on an apparently dead computer.

Billwirz

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
IT WORKS! All I had to do was what someone suggested in another thread, that is to take out the BIOS battery and short the two connections there, which resets the BIOS to factory default.

I then downloaded and installed the BIOS update as you said, Phoenix117.

kristjan79

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012

Hi, I'm working on an acer aspire 7551-2575 that has the exact thing happening to it. I've attempted to reset the CMOS by pulling the battery and jumpering, but that's not doing the trick for this one. Can you be a little more specific on what you had to do to get it working again? Thanks for your time. Or direct me to the other thread that described how to do this?

Thanks,
Kris

Stef Chapchoy

Honorable
May 18, 2013

it sure helps, for 20 minutes, then a black screen again... i'm really stuck here

Enissay

Honorable
May 2, 2013

How Please ?

Juerg_

Estimable
Nov 7, 2015
I had the same problem with my acer E-15.

what solved it:
press and hold ALT and F10.....THEN start your ACER...keep on holding ALT and F10.
Acer Logo will load and on the bottom it will say : PLEASE WAIT.
New window will pop up with keyboard layout.
pick one
New window will pop up with options: Continue, troubleshooting, turn off PC
press troubles hooting
in trouble shooting press advanced options
press system restore
pick restore point and run it.......it will take about 30 minutes.....and you should be back in business.

Joe wareing

Commendable
Apr 23, 2016
Hi i had a black screen,took it to the computer shop they said the screen had gone.you could see the windows logo very feint
On screen.
So i got home and connected a seperate screen onto the laptop,
Started up the laptop,useing it for about an hour
And loe and behold the laptop screen came on as well ,Yipppeeee
I don't know why,this fixed the problem but it did
I hope this could be a use to someone somewhere
Thanks