Acer Aspire E1-472P Not powering on after I increased RAM.

nfg1984

Estimable
Nov 6, 2015
Hey guys,

I was trying to upgrade the RAM in an ACER Aspire E1-472P. I've upgraded RAM on desktops/laptops dozens of times and didn't foresee a problem. However, on the Aspire, they made it very difficult to access the RAM. The case must be opened by pulling off the keyboard, disconnecting the touchpad/keyboard, and disconnecting every cable to the motherboard in order to fully remove the motherboard so that you can flip it to access the RAM on the underside of the motherboard (most laptops have that little square on the bottom of the case to access the underside specifically to access the RAM slots, this laptop does not). Everything went well, I triple-checked connections plugging everything back in, but now the laptop does not boot up.

I have a constant Power LED on (light bulb icon), and when I HOLD the power button, I get the HDD LED and can feel the HDD spinning, but after a second the HDD turns off, but I can still hear the HDD spinning faintly like it's idling. Any ideas what I have done wrong? I hope I didn't short out the motherboard, I was careful to ground myself. But I don't know what else I can do. I get no lights on the keyboard, no sounds, and no display.

If there was a compatibility issue with the RAM I would still get some sort of display, right?

Hi,

According to the user manual of your laptop you should be able to upgrade the RAM of your laptop up to 8GB with a DDR3L SDRAM. With these upgrade you shouldn't have any problem with it since it's plug and play. But if it's still not booting up try to retrace back your steps you did you change the RAM with a different one. Make sure all cables are properly seated into each port. If it doesn't work take off the new RAM replace it with the old on and see if the laptop will boot up normally and if it does, it may have something to do with the new RAM you've installed.