Acer Aspire E15 keeps shutting down randomly

Mia_Claire_

Estimable
Dec 18, 2014
Hi my Acer Aspire E15 laptop shuts down randomly even though I have sufficient battery charge. Then why I try to click the power button it says critical battery. But when I plug it, it works fine. Do I have a problem with my battery or did I damage my hardware. I brought it to the Acer store and the guy there said that it might be because I use a universal charger with 19V 4.74A and my laptop is 19V 3.42A. But as far as I know, it's okay to use a charger higher current right? But is there a way that this will damage my PC? So the guy from Acer reformatted my laptop a while ago and then now it still shuts down randomly while I'm typing or doing something which is really frustrating. Please help me identify what's wrong with my laptop. Thank you!

Solution
The higher amperage should be fine. If it were an electrical issue with the adapter, you would experience problems when connecting it, not while running solely on battery and not randomly on battery as you have been.

I suspect there is a bad connection or bad circuit between the battery and the system board. If the laptop has a warranty on it, you may need to get in touch with the manufacturer and have it serviced by them. Otherwise it will need to go to a repair shop.

Mia_Claire_

Estimable
Dec 18, 2014

But I bought this laptop just three months ago so it can't possibly be the battery. And also, since it's new the cause cannot also be overheating because the fan is accumulating dust.

The higher amperage should be fine. If it were an electrical issue with the adapter, you would experience problems when connecting it, not while running solely on battery and not randomly on battery as you have been.

I suspect there is a bad connection or bad circuit between the battery and the system board. If the laptop has a warranty on it, you may need to get in touch with the manufacturer and have it serviced by them. Otherwise it will need to go to a repair shop.

Solution

Mia_Claire_

Estimable
Dec 18, 2014

Thank you. I believe this is the case. Also, my laptop has been randomly shutting even before I lost my original Acer charger and used a universal charger.

It definitely sounds like a faulty electrical component, not an issue with the chargers. Best of luck on having it fixed! I don't know what Acer's support is like, but if you go through them, they should be able to resolve it for you. :)

Cynd3r

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017

Yes, Thank you. My computer kept crashing, but only on battery power. connection must be the case!