Acer Aspire M5 charging issues

Justin21

Commendable
Jul 14, 2016
My Acer Aspire M5 is almost 2 years now, (barely used it at all until about a month ago) and it is having issues charging.
What happens is sometimes when it is charging it will go on and off; start charging, stop charging, start, stop. Everytime it will beep and the keyboard light will flash for a second.
It actually did it for the first time when I only had the laptop for a few months, but I didn't care much because I could move the cord a little and it would be fine.
Now I am lucky if I can get it to charge for a minute at a time without starting its on/off cycle.
Sometimes I can not even get it to charge for more than a second.

I have tried different outlets, restarting pc, I bought a new charger on amazon and it does the same thing, moving cord at different angles, and unplugging it and plugging it back in.

I have not taken the back off yet to check the battery, or messed with the BIOS at all, I wanted to get suggestions first before I do anything like that.

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Solution
It sounds like it is the port where you are plugging in that may well be the problem and not the cord. It may be loose.

That said, first you can check inside to make sure there is nothing disconnected, loose, etc., on the connections to that port. Since you said it was that way when you got it, there may have been something loose inside already and it finally completely disconnected. Should that be the case, you may just need to solder it back.

However, if it is the port, and there is nothing you can find loose/dislodged inside the laptop, and it is attached to the motherboard (like many are) you may have to have the whole motherboard replaced.
It sounds like it is the port where you are plugging in that may well be the problem and not the cord. It may be loose.

That said, first you can check inside to make sure there is nothing disconnected, loose, etc., on the connections to that port. Since you said it was that way when you got it, there may have been something loose inside already and it finally completely disconnected. Should that be the case, you may just need to solder it back.

However, if it is the port, and there is nothing you can find loose/dislodged inside the laptop, and it is attached to the motherboard (like many are) you may have to have the whole motherboard replaced.

Solution