Acer Aspire One Netbook Will Not Boot

ComputerWhiz305

Estimable
Jun 25, 2014
I dropped my Acer Aspire One netbook computer a few years ago and I haven't been able to boot it. I have removed the hard drive and looked to see if it is damaged, but it appears to be ok.

I am trying to boot the laptop. I have removed both the battery and hard drive from the system and am using the AC power supply provided with the original product.

When I power on the computer, I can hear the fan start and the regular power light is displayed. However, after a few seconds, the fan stops, but the light remains on. During this period, there are no error messages displayed, nor does anything display on the screen. It is indeed sensing the power supply, since the AC light on the computer turns on. I have attempted to attach an external screen to the laptop using the VGA port, however, it doesn't display anything.

Is there anything that I can check out? I am aware that it could be a damaged motherboard, in which case, it would become too expense to repair, but I just want to see if I can get it fixed.

hoax187

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
Check if the CAPSLOCK has a flashing light (my hp laptop had one) it flashes in different pattern depending on the defect you are having
mine turned out to be a damaged mobo.
It might be somewhere else but there has to be something like that to let you diagnose the problem
Check you laptop manual.

ComputerWhiz305

Estimable
Jun 25, 2014

The only light to come on is the light around the power button. It stays solid (as it would if it was operating normally) until I remove all power or hold the power button. The manual does not discuss a diagnostic light, but I will look into it more.

If I have the battery connected, the low battery light will come on as normal.

ComputerWhiz305

Estimable
Jun 25, 2014
UPDATE:
I am trying to fix an Acer Aspire One D250.
The D250 has no diagnostic lights, nor does it have a video card. Since there is no video card, that rules out the possibility of a damaged video card.

hoax187

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
Don't know if that is your case or not but seems like the Acer Aspire One is shipped with a defective BIOS and some people is having this problem they get black screen and nothing happen just the power button LED.
Try to update the BIOS by flashing it form a USB drive.
I'm not sure if this will fix yours, you can try it
Check this link:
http://lowendguru.com/2010/02/how-to-fix-the-acer-aspire-one-black-screen/

Honestly, you did all the right steps but this is a 5 year old computer, and parts are only garunteed for 3 years. Considering a better replacement for those specs is only $249 at Walmart (a new laptop) would be fiscally the smarter move as there are no 'parts' just readily available to buy at your local BigBox / Electronics store for laptops. Each is customized per the Maker's specs, and sometimes even per model, that buying 'used' parts (for example someone broke the screen on the same laptop) is almost as costly as a brand new system, and you don't know how 'long' those parts will last for (1 week, 6 months?) as compared to a new UNDER WARRANTY system.

ComputerWhiz305

Estimable
Jun 25, 2014

It is worth a try, but the links are no good. The Acer website has removed this download. Where can I find these files?

Nevermind, I found it from the Acer archives.

hoax187

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012

Here go to there website: http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers
1-Enter your model number which is: AOD250
2- Select BIOS
3- Download the latest version which is 1.29

Edit: Igonre this, looks like you've found it already.

ComputerWhiz305

Estimable
Jun 25, 2014

Thank you.
I downloaded the wrong model.

It didn't fix the issue.
I think that it is pretty much toast.