Acer Aspire One Windows Installation issue

AcerAssistance

Estimable
Jun 8, 2014
Hello

I pray you can help, a few days ago I managed to re-install Windows on my own Acer Aspire One netbook and its working great, I am now trying to do it a second time. I did everything the same, used WintoFlash to convert windows for USB, installed it and ran the programme.

Now the netbook wont load anything, its coming up with an error message of:

"Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.
Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.
Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware manuals for additional information"

It appears that it has installed windows twice, but I cant get it to boot on either of them, and if I attempt to re-install it, it no longer gives me an option to get to any other partition apart from the USB!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

*Update - I noticed that I was getting a screen that had Windows XP twice, so Im guessing that my attempt to re-install simply made a second copy which isnt working correctly and causing the loop, when I select the second Windows XP, I can boot it and I am in, is there anyway to remove the version on non booting windows? Ive just tried a system restore but that doesnt seem to remove it*

Solution
By not first removing the existing Windows installation before installing it a second time, Windows Setup has assumed that you want a "dual boot" system which is commonly used by those who want to run two different versions of Windows on the same machine. Obviously that's pointless in your case.

On your working Windows, click Start > Run
Type msconfig and press <Enter>.
Click the "Boot" tab.
Delete the line that doesn't work (the first one is my guess).
Click 'OK'

Now restart and, hopefully it will boot straight in to Windows without the dual-boot menu appearing.

You can then reformat the non-working Windows partition in the Disk Management console so you can use it for storage.
By not first removing the existing Windows installation before installing it a second time, Windows Setup has assumed that you want a "dual boot" system which is commonly used by those who want to run two different versions of Windows on the same machine. Obviously that's pointless in your case.

On your working Windows, click Start > Run
Type msconfig and press <Enter>.
Click the "Boot" tab.
Delete the line that doesn't work (the first one is my guess).
Click 'OK'

Now restart and, hopefully it will boot straight in to Windows without the dual-boot menu appearing.

You can then reformat the non-working Windows partition in the Disk Management console so you can use it for storage.

Solution