Solved! Acer Aspire Power Problems

brownswa

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
I have an acer aspire 5000 running windows xp. The power cord went bad (for the third time) and completely drained the battery. I bought a new power cord but the battery would not charge nor would the computer boot up. So I bought a new battery. The computer booted, but before I could change the power settings the battery discharged. I am thinking it is a software problem and not a hardware problem. When I turn it on, both the ac power light and the battery light on the front of the computer flicker then nothing. Two questions: 1. How can I get the computer to just run on ac power? 2. How can I charge the new battery?

Solution
If you unplug your battery and plug your charger in and your notebook doesn't turn on, you have a very serious hardware fault. Software has nothing to do with that.

brownswa

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009

I did unplug the battery and plug it back in, but no result. I have had ac only, dc only and ac and dc and nothing seems to make a difference. Thanks for your help.
Bob

pcfixed

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008

Acer do have battery problems and bios update usualy fixes it, but it would still run 100% without the battery and just the ac adaptor
I think your DC socket where the ac plugs into is damaged therfore batteries aren't getting charged.
did you check if the ac is lose when u connect it to the side of the laptop? wigle it and see what happens.

ac: http://www.unitedsale.net/pics/adapter/HP-239427-001-Genuine-Original-AC-Adapter-18.5V-3.5A.jpg
dc socket: http://powersocketrepair.com/badtoshibajack.jpg

brownswa

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009

That is exactly what I did and it did not work.

Also to pcfixed, neither the ac power adapter where it plugs into the computer nor the battery where it seats to the computer wiggles or is loose, thanks for the idea, My thought is that it is a window setting where the software is controlling the hardware. The computer did boot off the new battery until it discharged and now I cannot turn it on to change the windows power settings.
Bob

brownswa

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009

Thanks, I have now purchased a new laptop.
Bob

G

update bios for battery problem from there site. and if computer older than 12 months cut the plug off and replace removing about an inch of the power supply wire. Get plugs from places like maplin get the right one. if less than 12months old and u have proof of perchase take it back its there fault its happening i know . to prevent wire by plug breaking be carefull and alway try to put wire behind notebook. not by the fan vent.