Question Acer Aspire R11 battery discharges without use

jarnie

Estimable
Aug 8, 2015
Ever since I purchased this laptop (2 or 3 years ago) I noticed that the battery discharged without using it. I assumed that this may have been caused by the fact that although I was exiting Windows (shut down) that the laptop was not completely shut down and still consuming power.
Recently when I noticd that the laptop would not power up I fully charged the battery and then did not use the laptop for a few weeks. When I attempted to use the laptop I found that it would not power up - the battery was discharged.
I would have thought that when the battery is discharged that the entire system was COMPLETELY shut down and then after charging the battery it would not consume any power. Is this true?
Could I have a faulty battery or is this normal behaviour for the Aspire R11? Does the laptop consume battery power even when not being used? Can I change that?
Thanks
John

It sounds a lot like it isn't being turned off, but is instead in sleep or hibernate. I suggest you check your settings to see which it is doing, rather than actually shutting down. This will lead the battery being drained faster.

Now if it is actually powering off completely, and it is discharging fast, then that battery may need replacing.

jarnie

Estimable
Aug 8, 2015
Thanks
I would have thought if the battery completely discharged then it is turned off and not hibernating. Anyway I will check that.
Also I believe this situation has been happening since the day I purchased it - a faulty battery from the factory? Unfortunately it is now out of warranty but I notice battaries for it on Ebay for around $A50 ($US35).

jarnie

Estimable
Aug 8, 2015
Another think I have noticed from the day I got it.
When I first connect the charger the light flashes orange and it doesn't seem to ever charge UNTIL I remove the charger plug from the laptop and then reinsert it and then the orange light is steady (doesn't blink).
Does that mean anything?

It could mean a few things. It isn't plugged correctly. It isn't getting the right amount of power from the charger to the port. I could go on.

At this point, if you are not wanting to try a battery first, which I can understand, then I would take it to a local tech, unless under warranty and then contact the manufacturer.

jarnie

Estimable
Aug 8, 2015
Thanks.
I am sure I plug the charger in correct by pushing the plug into teh laptop as far as it goes. This happens everytime I charge it when completely flat even the day I purchased it. Saying that I am thinking it is probably the battery as I have never purchased any recharargable device which didn't come with a battery with some charge already in it. Wished I had been more attentive when it was under warranty.

Aug 12, 2019
Experiencing this also on my Acer e5-576g since day 1. Bought brand new and the only thing that keeps me from taking it to the service center is that I won't have any alternative device when they take my unit for checking. Thinking of changing the battery by myself instead.