Acer Aspire S3-391-6811 13.3-Inch Ultrabook "no boot device available"

3305fuzzy

Prominent
Nov 10, 2017
Hi all,

I am not all that tech knowledgeable, just know enough to get myself into trouble :)

My dog got caught in my power cord and my Acer Aspire S3-391-6811 13.3-Inch Ultrabook went flying across the room (landed on carpet and appeared fine). The power supply case on the power cord was opened up and I snapped it back in place.

When I got everything hooked back up and started the ultrabook up, the screen was black and there is a constant beeping. After about 30 seconds, I get the message "no boot device available, please restart system".

Restarting does not help. I read in a few threads to try pressing F12 or F9 on restart, but that did not seem to register.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone can offer some advice as to what step(s) I should take.

ps: The ultrabook did not come with any type of disk, windows 8 was preloaded and I have since upgraded to windows 10 via download.

Thank you!
Janna

Solution

Thanks these pictures are perfect. I looked over what hard drives are currently being read on your laptop, and in this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8cy39pj92nyoos7/2017-11-10%2010.34.38.jpg?dl=0 , you can see that HDD0 is currently...

MusenMouse

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016
Hello Fuzzy,

Does the beeping happen every time you turn on the laptop, or was it only the first time when you turned it back on?

Anyways, usually when the error message "No Boot device available, please restart system" comes up it means that your computer cannot find an Operating System like Windows to boot into. From your story, unfortunately we can't be sure if your hard drive is suffering from data corruption, or there is something physically wrong. Normally if it is data corruption, I would advise to recover the data and then reinstall Windows 8 or 10 over the hard drive, but because the hard drive may be physically damaged that may not be an option.

We can test to see if your laptop is actually seeing your hard drive if you press F2 when you first start the laptop and see the Acer logo. This should bring you to the BIOS. In the BIOS there should be a number of options, but the one you are looking for is along the lines of viewing system components, we want to see if your laptop actually sees if it has a hard drive in it. Sorry I do not have an Acer laptop to follow along so be patient when looking through the BIOS. Just make sure when exiting out of the BIOS that you choose the option "Do not save and exit", just in case any important settings were changed while you were looking through the BIOS.

Best of luck.

3305fuzzy

Prominent
Nov 10, 2017
Hi MusenMouse and thank you so much for your reply.

F2 did bring up the Bio!! yay!!! That is a big step past beeping and black. I am trying to figure out if I can add an attachment here of photos I took of the screen....standby :)

3305fuzzy

Prominent
Nov 10, 2017

MusenMouse

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016

Thanks these pictures are perfect. I looked over what hard drives are currently being read on your laptop, and in this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8cy39pj92nyoos7/2017-11-10%2010.34.38.jpg?dl=0 , you can see that HDD0 is currently reading as "None". In HDD0 there should be a hard drive reading there, which is your boot drive and where most of your files are being saved. I can't say for sure if the hard drive is physically broken, or maybe the hard drive was jostled loose from the connector, but either is not good.

In both situations you will need to open the laptop up and examine the hard drive to see what is wrong. My advice is to either go to a repair shop or have a computer savvy member of the family take apart the laptop to examine the hard drive. If you plan to open up the computer, or have a friend or family member, here is a link to instructions on how to open up the laptop https://www.manualslib.com/manual/483179/Acer-Aspire-S3-391.html?page=6#manual.

This is probably as far as I can help because it seems we have diagnosed the issue, but feel free to ask any other questions you have.

Edit: Forgot to add, the instructions I linked to may be slightly off because there may be variations of the same model laptop over time.

Solution

murilomedina64

Prominent
Nov 19, 2017
I had a similar problem with an Aspire ES-571P-55TL.
It was resolved as follows:
     1. Create bootable USB flash drive with the MediaCreationTool app, obtained at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
     2. When turning on the notebbok, press F2
     3. Switch from Legacy boot to UEFI
     4. When rebooting the PC, in the green Acer logo, click ALT + F10 (it must be fast)
     5. Follow instructions from the Windows recovery tool to recover damages to the boot files.
Hope this helps