Acer Aspire V3 572-PG Keyboard not working [Ribbon Connection]

connor911

Estimable
Aug 26, 2015
I recently purchased a used Acer laptop and after installing an SSD the keyboard does not work anymore.

I followed this thread in order to replace the harddrive and everything seems connected:

http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/id-2405279/disassemble-acer-aspire-v15-572-5217.html

I had to disconnect the ribbon cables to the power button, battery, touchpad and keyboard in order to get at the HDD so I assume I messed something up somewhere. When I opened up the laptop the keyboard ribbon disconnected without me touching the clips so it seems like it was loose in the first place. I've tried to put the ribbon back in and clip it on but keyboard still doesn't work. Everything else works except the keyboard.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

EDIT:

I finally got it connected properly but a couple of keys still aren't working. Does that mean it still isn't fully connected or is that from damaging the ribbon.

imrazor

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Some possibilities: You put the ribbon cable back in the connector backwards. This is possible if the keyboard cable doesn't have a keyed connector, or maybe no connector at all. You may have damaged the cable when you took the laptop apart. Also, you could have damaged the keyboard somehow.

If it's just a case of putting the cable in backwards, you'll just need to partially disassemble the laptop, flip the cable over and reconnect it. If the cable is damaged, repair depends on whether or not the cable can be disconnected from the keyboard. If it can, you'll need to get a new cable, which could be hard to find. Finally, you can try replacing the keyboard. They're usually not hard to find on eBay...

EDIT: One last possibility: You may have damaged the motherboard. This is unlikely, but definitely possible. If so, you'll need to get a new motherboard.