zander491

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016
Laptop - Acer Aspire V3-572G
Graphics Card - Nvidia GeForce 840M
Operating system - Windows 10
Heaven Benchmark 4.0 output - http://imgur.com/a/AIFYG
FurMark output - http://imgur.com/a/0hsWh

It started about three to six months ago. I was playing Xenoverse on my Acer Aspire V3-572G-76EM laptop with a fan underneath it, and all of a sudden the game characters stopped moving properly. The screen went black for a moment, and then the graphics started stretching and spiking in weird ways.

I turned the computer off and on again, but in the game there was a weird dilapidated snow on everything, and some of the menus were difficult to see. However, using the computer regularly in desktop mode works fine.

These game problems and more have persisted over the months, and only switching to integrated graphics allows me to play low intensity games.

Attempted Fixes:

• Reinstalled Graphics Driver
    Updated Graphics Driver
    Updated Bios
    Error Checked bios
    Updated Audio / Card Reader / Chipset / IO / Lan / Ouchpad / VGA (Intel/Nvidia [Boradwell]) and WiFi Drivers (Just in case)
    Safe Mode
    Windows 10 Reinstall

All of these lead to similarly corrupted images, thoguh it is a bit different in different programs.
xKp1Uza.png

Om9E7Q0.png

I know it's an old problem and I might've asked this already, but I figured i'd make absolutely sure it was broken beyond repair before I replaced it.
Thank you.

Solution
Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.
Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

Solution

zander491

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016

I tried plugging a TV into the HDMI port and a monitor into the VGA port. Both had the 'dancing straw' effect.
...Know any good repair sites?

dado47

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018

I have the same laptop and the same problem...
zander491 did you fix this problem with your graphic card?

zander491

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016

(Is this a necro...?)
No, I haven't found a direct solution. The best I could do is either change the settings to use integrated graphics, or disable the dedicated card altogether. I've got a proper gaming rig anyway and plenty of portable consoles so it's not a huge loss for me. Hope you have better luck... or more money for repairs/replacement.

dado47

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
Necro? No, I'm not :)
Yeah, with integrated graphics card my Football Manager 2018 works fine. It is the only game I play on laptop. But I think I'll take it to repair service, just to ask how much it costs to repair.