Acer Aspire V5 571pg stuttering on games after a couple of minutes, what should i do?

MackArron

Estimable
Nov 30, 2014
Hi, my name is Joseph.
Recently i buyed a laptop (Acer Aspire 571 pg) this laptop is very good for browsing and waching videos, etc... I'm happy that it can handle those things perfectly But i have a big issue when i try to play some games.

For example GTA IV. I start the game normally and after a couple of minutes the game stutters/ drops fps constantly. I mean... It runs well in the first 4-5 minutes, then it starts to run slow for a couple of seconds and then goes back to run normally for another couple of seconds, and then again the game runs slow, and this keeps going and going as long as i play.

Specs:

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-V5-571PG-9814-15-6-Inch-Touchscreen-Processor/dp/B00AVYPP7S

HDD: 1tb
O.s: Windows 8.1 [It was originally Windows 8, but i updated the Os for free] (Maybe this was the problem?)
RAM: 8gb
Video [1]: Integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000
Video [2]: Dedicated Nvidia 710m [1gb] ddr3
Processor: Intel i7 3537U 2.0ghz [2.5ghz in turbo]

So i really don't know what to do, this fps drops are really annoying.
I've tried:

-Installing new video drivers [They're up to date]
-Installing new audio drivers [They're up to date too]
-Changing battery settings, doesn't make much difference in balanced mode or high performance
-Low the settings and resolution of the game [This keeps happening even on the lowest settings, it stutters/ it still gives me a fps drop]
-Defrag my hdd [Nothing changes]
-Updated my bios [The problem still persist]
-Turning off vertical sync and other various settings on the Nvidia control panel.

The thing is that i used Nvidia inspector just to check the gpu temperature and i notice that when the temperature reaches 60 to 70 celcius degrees the game starts to run slowly and stutter.

I've this cooler connected to my lap:

http://www.coated.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/microsoft-notebook-cooling-pad.jpg
I've the same pad just in color black.

But even with that thing connected the temperature still goes up.

Maybe i need a better cooling pad? What should i do to get the fps stable? I hope you can help me, really.

Have a nice weekend

Solution

Do not go by YouTube, just about every video is setup for specific areas with custom graphics to get a good frame rate that they can post and brag about. It's actually very strange how now so many people point to YouTube as a source of facts.

The 710m is pretty bad for games, right now the lowest recommended...
It's likely that the video card can't run the game well, as it ramps up in temps, it starts to lower the speed to keep the system safe causing the frame drops. The 710m is not really a good card for games and GTA IV is not well done for computers to begin with.

Did you check the video drivers through Windows or directly from Acer's web site? If through Windows, that is not a good way of checking it. Go to Acer's support site and look for drivers there.

MackArron

Estimable
Nov 30, 2014
I check the drivers on Nvidia's webpage.

I have seen some videos on youtube from people who have the same card as me and they run the game normally, and i've read some reviews on my laptop and people say the graphic card is decent enough, so i think maybe the problem is with the graphics card. I'm gonna return it and then i'll see if indeed the card is not good enough for anything i want to play or i got a faulty one.

Do not go by YouTube, just about every video is setup for specific areas with custom graphics to get a good frame rate that they can post and brag about. It's actually very strange how now so many people point to YouTube as a source of facts.

The 710m is pretty bad for games, right now the lowest recommended desktop video card for gaming at lower quality is the nVidia 730, that is the low end. The 730 score almost doubles the 710m on the PassMark video test. 948 vs 581. If the lowest range gaming card is almost 2 times the speed of what you have, I don't see much hope for it. especially since you already dropped the quality to low.

Solution