Acer Aspire V5 notebook laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fdmelb

Estimable
Jan 11, 2016
Hi Bloggers,
I have an Acer aspire v5 notebook laptop that is quite new but past by its warranty date. For some reason I went into the BIOS screen settings & put a password for the HDD which now displays as FROZEN. I know the password and never ever entered it wrong, even once. I want to disable or remove the HDD password, but it won't let me do this. Is this possible to change? Now the laptop constantly switched on & off every 5 minutes, not sure what's going on. Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you all.

Fdmelb

Estimable
Jan 11, 2016

Fdmelb

Estimable
Jan 11, 2016
Hi Hamperking68,
You may have misunderstood my post. I do NOT need any passwords. I know my password & do not have a problem accessing my laptop. My question is I want to get the HDD status off the Frozen status. Do you understand what I mean. Thanks anyway.

Hi, As I said we are unable to help with passwords. In order to fix your device a password will be needed to remove your HDD from frozen status. And unlocking the HDD without the password would be completely contrary to what the password is set for. Please try to see this from our perspective. I am in no means calling you a thief but this laptop might be stolen for all I know.

You may be able to remove it by playing around with your secure boot options. Also try resetting your CMOS by removing your battery and holding your power button for 30 seconds. Unfortunately that is as much help as I am able to give you.

Fdmelb

Estimable
Jan 11, 2016

Fdmelb

Estimable
Jan 11, 2016
I don't mean to be rude, but I think that you lost the plot altogether. I bought this laptop around 2 years ago from an authorised Acer dealer & still have the receipt for it. I can assure you that it is not a password problem because I am the one who put the password in to enable the HDD to be secure. I did not know or wasn't aware that it would go into a frozen state where I cannot go back to clear it like I did for the supervisor & user ID.
Sorry, I think you should refrain writing on this thread and give the opportunity for anyone else out there with the knowledge or expertise to give their opinion in regards to the matter.

Fdmelb

Estimable
Jan 11, 2016
Hi Hamperking68,
That is quite ok, apologies accepted. The BIOS on the Acer Aspire laptop is Phoenix SecureCore Tiano. From what I read on the www I am unable to undo the password for the HDD. I accept this and happy to ask my family to all enter the password when the laptop starts. I believe I stuffed it up, so I'll suck it up and move on. The biggest issue I currently have is: when the laptop is started, it does not go to the Windows page. It goes into a state of restarting every minute. I don't have anything important on the HDD, but just need to get the damn thing running again. I am not highly computer literate, so please ask me in lay mans terms. Thanking you in advance.

Fdmelb

Estimable
Jan 11, 2016

Yes, it does, where I have 4 options
1. Exit & continue to Windows 10
2. Use a USB drive, network connection, or Windows recovery DVD
3. Refresh or reset your PC, or use advanced tools And finally.....
4. Turn off your PC

Fdmelb

Estimable
Jan 11, 2016
Hi Hamperking68,
Currently doing a system restore via advanced options, will keep you posted as this will take sometime. Thank you heaps for getting me to this stage.

Fdmelb

Estimable
Jan 11, 2016
Hi Hamperking68,

You are a champ in helping me solve the problem I created. Your last suggestion of holding down the left Alt+F10 buttons kicked start the HDD>recovery screen>windows signin>back on track>with the exception of having to type in an extra password every time the laptop starts>lost no information that was on the laptop.

Thanks once again, if not for your help i would have to scrap this almost new laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.