Acer HDD Question

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Frizzo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
So, now I have somewhat deteriorating situation (depending).....I just have very simple question about these internal laptop hard drives that are working from standard SATA......this one has the standard SATA but also has the little tiny serial strip that attaches to the motherboard of the laptop. So my question is, if I take this little HDD out and set it up on my desktop to extract data from, will that be ok? realizing that the little serial strip will simply be connected to nothing when i interface it with my desktop computer.

Frizzo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
It has everything listed as ok except "Reallocated Sector Count", which is what i mentioned about in earlier post, that it probably has some built in smart mod to move data -- i'm guessing it has something to do with that.

current 100 worst 100 threshold 36 data 48 status warning. first time i've used this program.

SkyNetRising

Estimable
Jan 4, 2016
Well - drive sustained damage, 48 sectors had to be moved to spare area.
There are still plenty of spare sectors left, so - you can keep using it.
But you have to monitor "Reallocated Sector Count" and "Current Pending Sector" parameters.
If those increase, this means that damage is spreading and more of your data will become corrupted.

Frizzo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
thanks for the answers. like i said, it didn't sustain a "direct hit" so to speak.....it like fell from the bottom onto the table (bout 6-8 inch drop), then bounced from there down to the floor, but there were wires which broke the fall, so that it didn't land like SLAM, etc. also, it is the most extensive looking laptop drive that i've ever seen (mechanical)....usually they are like so ridiculously flimsy, but this one is bigger and built closer to desktop.