Vorp

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
Hey there.

First of all I want to say that I am writing this thread after having read over 50 articles and tried over 100 solutions.

About a month ago I bought an Acer Aspire E5-572G-58BA laptop.

Initially, I installed Windows 7 on it. At first, there weren't any issues with the laptop. After installing some programs/drivers on it it started to freeze at boot (not every time I booted, though).

It would just stay at "Starting windows" and wouldn't move from there. It took me anywhere from 1 to 5 restarts to get it to actually boot.
Eventually this started happening every time I tried to boot my laptop up. So I enabled boot logging and noticed that some drivers were failing to load. (The main one being dxgkrnl.sys)

Since this was a relatively new laptop I thought some of my hardware/drivers might not be fully compatible with windows 7, so I wiped the hard drive clean and installed windows 8.1.

Again, same story. It was working fine for a bit of time. But then, after having installed a couple of drivers and programs.... exactly the same issue. Laptop started to freeze at boot and I could only get it working after restarting it a fair amount of times.

So, I decided I will take the free upgrade to windows 10 and see if that helps. (Note : I did not actually wipe the laptop clean, I simply "upgraded" it to windows 10 this time).

Aaaand... after having installed windows 10... I started getting the same issues. The boot log was again showing issues with dxgkrnl.sys. Now my laptop is at a point, where it will only boot if I enable safe-mode. (Note: ONLY safe-mode. The laptop fails to boot if I try to boot it on safe-mode with networking)

Up to this point, I have tried reinstalling all my drivers one by one, changing boot modes from UEFI to Legacy and vice-versa, completely discharging and recharging my battery, running
disk checks, system recoveries.... and nothing helped fix the issue.
The only thing that I can think of is to just return my laptop to the place I bought it from and hope that it is a hardware issue. (so they can fix/replace the damn thing)

I am completely stuck and have no idea what to try next, so I am posting here. If anyone has ANY idea for what my causing this behavior I'd be glad to hear it.
If any of you guys want, I can post a boot log or anything else that might help.

Thanks for any help in advance :)

Vorp

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

The funny part is that it is completely different every time I reinstall an OS. Infact, I believe it is more to do with the drivers that get installed, rather than the actually programs I install. But just for information I install basic stuff like Skype,Chrome/Firefox, Code::Blocks, Adobe Creative Cloud (and then Adobe After Effects) along with maybe visual studio.

These are the main ones I have installed almost all the times I reinstalled my windows.
Again, I believe it has more to do with drivers :|