Acer Laptop - Need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkelley9

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
Unfortunately I was too late on the Dell XPS 17 deal from a few weeks ago for $750. But this deal has come up and I'm wondering if it will be just as good.

I need a laptop for mostly excel, word, and email. I like that it's 1600x900 res. I also play games like WoW and SWTOR. I don't care about high settings, as long as the low settings are smooth as butter. This laptop has a comparable CPU and RAM, it has a smaller HD which I'm happy about since I don't need the space. I'm also planning on putting in a 120GB SSD. I want to know if
1) I can easily swap out the standard HDD with the SSD (or add it as the primary and use the other as storage?)
2) if I can run those 2 games well at low to medium settings

I think it will handle it, and even with the SSD I want to swap in, the RAM, etc... I'm looking at <$720.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=2008030&sku=A180-173122]

What do you think?

Solution
Hello jkelley9;

That's a pretty good deal. It covers 1 & 2 just fine.
i5-2450M 2.5GHz CPU & Radeon HD 7670M graphics. $550.
Has a 2nd HDD bay for that SSD.

That CPU/GPU combo will run WoW on highest settings and a solid medium on SWTOR and might run on high with some tweaking.
Radeon HD 7670M
Hello jkelley9;

That's a pretty good deal. It covers 1 & 2 just fine.
i5-2450M 2.5GHz CPU & Radeon HD 7670M graphics. $550.
Has a 2nd HDD bay for that SSD.

That CPU/GPU combo will run WoW on highest settings and a solid medium on SWTOR and might run on high with some tweaking.
Radeon HD 7670M

Solution

jkelley9

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
Alright, thanks for the advice and good links! :)

I'll be pulling the trigger on this one tonight when I get home from work. I'd like to see if anyone has anything negative to include about this particular laptop, like reliability concerns, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.