Acer laptop problems - crashing

chargerbandit

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
So I have an Acer 5738dzg laptop and recently it has started acting weird... it keeps crashing and I can't install any OS, even Ubuntu from a CD or USB crashes. I have replaced the hard drive and both ram's and I still get the same problems, any ideas? I am suspecting a faulty chipset because this laptop is pretty hot even after cleaning and replacing the thermal paste.

chargerbandit

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

Well I got this one for free if I can somehow make it work as I would need a laptop to carry to my band practice to record some music. Apparently the hard drive is faulty and also the ATI chipset is falling off the motherboard...squeezing the case together makes it magically work.

chargerbandit

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

Usually it doesn't finish installing Windows, it gets stuck copying the files... one time I managed to get Windows installed but froze when installing the drivers and after the restart it simply blue-screened when booting up the system. I also get some crazy "fixed drive 0200" error sometimes when starting up and it refuses to find the hard drive.

And when you replaced the hard drive, did you put in a new/known working one? I ask because this sounds like an issue with either the drive, the connection, or the bus. If the drive is good and the connection is also good, then you may be looking at needing a new motherboard.