Acer Laptop turning off when playing games

Matthew_Beedle

Commendable
Dec 1, 2016
Hello, I have an Acer Aspire V3-571G that up until Monday morning has been working fine for several years.
I use it to study on and play a few games but since Monday, it will stay on for around 10 minutes before it turns itself off, I use whilst plugged into the wall and the temperatures sit around 80c whilst I'm playing. Thanks for any help anyone can give me!

Laptop Specs;
Acer Aspire V3-571G
Intel Core i5-3210M 2.5GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M with 2 GB Dedicated VRAM
8 BG DDR3 Memory

After reading a few posts, someone recommended running Events Viewer here is the error message.

System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
[ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}

EventID 41

Version 4

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000400000000002

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2016-11-30T11:23:24.554258300Z

EventRecordID 5993

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer AcerUser-PC

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-18

- EventData

BugcheckCode 0
BugcheckParameter1 0x0
BugcheckParameter2 0x0
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress 0
PowerButtonTimestamp 0
BootAppStatus 0
Checkpoint 0
ConnectedStandbyInProgress false
SystemSleepTransitionsToOn 0
CsEntryScenarioInstanceId 0

Thanks for any help!

John Chapman

Estimable
Apr 26, 2015
You have the classic signs of an overheating laptop. Use a vacuum cleaner to suck dust out of the air intake/exhaust vents. If you need to, use a short length of stiff monofilament fishing line or thin strimmer line to dislodge it
Got a cat? Cat fur is very hard to dislodge and gets trapped between the fan outlet and the heat exchanger fins. Removing it usually means a full dismantle of the laptop and is not something to be done lightly. Again making a hook from stiff monofilament can do the job although it takes a great deal of patience. You'll need about 15 cm of line and a very sharp knife. Cut the line at an angle to make a sharp point then make a second cut but not all the way through. Twist the knife to make the hook.

D_Know_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
Hi there Matthew_Beedle,

Your laptop is most probably overheating.
Could you post the temps of both your CPU and GPU?

Can you turn on the laptop right after it shuts down?

I believe it would be nice to start with just cleaning the dust out and reapplying thermal paste. You can take it to a repair shop, if you are not sure you can do that.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

John Chapman

Estimable
Apr 26, 2015
You have the classic signs of an overheating laptop. Use a vacuum cleaner to suck dust out of the air intake/exhaust vents. If you need to, use a short length of stiff monofilament fishing line or thin strimmer line to dislodge it
Got a cat? Cat fur is very hard to dislodge and gets trapped between the fan outlet and the heat exchanger fins. Removing it usually means a full dismantle of the laptop and is not something to be done lightly. Again making a hook from stiff monofilament can do the job although it takes a great deal of patience. You'll need about 15 cm of line and a very sharp knife. Cut the line at an angle to make a sharp point then make a second cut but not all the way through. Twist the knife to make the hook.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Laptop Tech Support 3
SoyokoAnis Laptop Tech Support 4
T Laptop Tech Support 1
J Laptop Tech Support 3
P Laptop Tech Support 5
Navisnil Laptop Tech Support 1
FlawKill Laptop Tech Support 3
amphx Laptop Tech Support 3
SSGB8 Laptop Tech Support 2
jasonkariuki98 Laptop Tech Support 1
Toastbyte Laptop Tech Support 1