Acer swift 3 /w MX150 or wait

severinsen70

Prominent
Oct 15, 2017
I've been researching ultrabooks for the past while, I've been wanting a thin sub 14" laptop with a discrete GPU, which limited my options until seeing a bunch of new ultrabooks coming out with the MX150 chip.

Currently the only available unit is an Acer Swift 3 with i5-8250u and MX150 for about $900 CAD. Although I haven't heard good things about the screen.

Does anyone have or test the new Swift 3? Or am I better off waiting for ultrabooks like the Zenbook 331 release. Or perhaps waiting for black Friday/boxing day

A few points:
-I'd like no larger than a 14" foot print
-thin screen bezel preferred (similar to Zenbook 430, packs a 14" screen into a 13" body)
-Prefer to have i7 if 7th gen, doesn't matter for 8th gen CPU.
-Screen not a huge deal breaker at least 1080p and the nicer the better
-Need good battery life for all day work on the go 8+ hours plus some light gaming

Price isn't a huge issue I have no problem shelling out if it's something I'm certain about (let's cap it at around 2k CAD) but if I can nail everything I need in an ultrabook at under $1K then perfect!

Similar ultrabooks I've been looking at
-XPS 13 with Iris graphics (more for the screen quality, but it's roughly $400-500 more than the swift)
-Asus Zenbook 430uq but I think I'll hold off now since that has a 940mx
-zenbook 330 (what I originally wanted just lacks the thin bezel and discrete gpu)
-Gigabyte Aero 14/15 seriously considered these but they are overkill for what I need and roughly $2500 after tax in Canada.
-Xiaomi Air 13.3 with MX150 (lack of support/any issues and I have a $1200 paper weight).

Is there any obvious ones out there I'm missing or should wait for?

severinsen70

Prominent
Oct 15, 2017
Sounds like a better option may be for me to wait for the Zenbook 331 or updated 430 comes out. May have to pay a bit more but the screen and battery life are pretty important. Worst case I can get a better deal on the Swift or XPS/similar when these come out.