Acer timeline ultra m5 fan noise

IMBAE75

Estimable
Jan 24, 2015
I am struggling to view/listen to videos for my online classes over all the noise that comes from the fan cutting on and off. It is becoming so hard to concentrate on my studies and the ultrabook is not being taken to class because it is more than a distraction than a education tool. Has anyone found the solution to correcting this or should I begin to search for another laptop? I have had this laptop almost two years after paying over $700 for it but I can't talk to Acer for warranty work as it is out of warranty. At first, I could handle the noise and as the year has passed, I can't do anything with it.

IMBAE75

Estimable
Jan 24, 2015
I don't have the spontaneous shut down/off problem that others have. I'm wondering how to do it, considering this isn't a consumer repair/service friendly laptop. I might not have explained it well, it sounds like a grinding growl or a long "grrrrrrrrrr" sound. The noise stops for maybe 3 minutes at best, then continues for about 5. This has always had a cooling fan under it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Laurensschu

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014

If it has always had a cooling fan we can be pretty sure there is some dust or other stuff in. This might make the horrible noise. What do you see when you look into the ventilation holes? It might also be a cable that touches the fan.

IMBAE75

Estimable
Jan 24, 2015

No cables, just to be sure I unplugged it and it still happened. After flipping it over, nothing is visible in the vent holes. I tried using compressed air to blow out dust about a month ago. No help there either.

I was under the impression that if a cooling fans were used, it wouldn't have these issues.

Laurensschu

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014

If you use a coolingfan you will still collect dust. Only it won't be as much of a problem most of the time as long as you keep using the coolingfan.
But what kind of cooling fan are we talking about? One you place at the air vents? Or one you place beneath your laptop?