Acer V17 Nitro shutting down during heavy load. Need help

Aug 8, 2018
Acer VN7-791g
NVDIA GTX 960M
i7- 4720HQ
16 GB RAM + 1 TB HDD
It has begun shutting down during gaming. I recently have begun experiencing sudden shut downs playing Overwatch. I have owned the laptop for two years now and I suspect its due to overheating. I have cleaned the heat sink and fans thoroughly as well as replaces the thermal paste with artic silver . The temperatures have seen a drop from 90C to around 75-80C. To my surprise the laptop still shuts down suddenly during gaming around 15 or so minutes in the game. My laptop is fully updated with all the drivers and I even reinstalled windows 10 by resetting the PC. Could it still be a overheating problem and what else can I do to aid the increasing temperatures?

Solution

It sounds like a problem with the GPU, though it's hard to be much more specific than that (some kind of electronic or electric failure under load).

You may have to see if you can get the motherboard/GPU repaired, if not an entire board replacement. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!
Aug 8, 2018

Just tested without it plugged in and it yielded the same results. Shut down after 5 minutes into a game. The temperatures logged in by SpeedFan and CoreTemp stated that the CPU and GPU were around 75C. It seems likely its not an overheating issue. I'm not sure what else I can do sadly

It sounds like a problem with the GPU, though it's hard to be much more specific than that (some kind of electronic or electric failure under load).

You may have to see if you can get the motherboard/GPU repaired, if not an entire board replacement. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

Solution