Acrobatic Thieves Steal 20 Laptops at Best Buy

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adamlee21

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
If i remembered right, there was a similar incident happened near my place about 4/5 years ago (in Vancouver, Canada) ....Yes I'm serious~! there was a goddamn HOLE on the roof of FutureShop (now becomes Bestbuy)and laptops were stolen

gekko668

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
These thieves know what they are doing unlike many mindless idiots that are stealing computers and got caught.

Kudo for them.

kravmaga

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
[citation][nom]cruiseoveride[/nom]... so basically $2,600 worth of hardware[/citation]

But a million bucks worth or smug!
In fact, were the police equipped with a smug-detector, they could have apprehended the thieves by simply following the MASSIVE spike in the readings.

G

i would love to see how someone "rappels out". That is pretty much an oxymoron unless you are rappelling out and down. The high-tech angle also seem media-hype to me. saws-all cuts hole, anchor ropes, rapel to top of shelf-rack and start sending up the booty, then ascend using either 1) a set of gibbs, 2) a 12-volt winch, 3) some buddies on steroids who don't mind hefting your 140 pounds 30 feet back to the hole. This is NOT "mission" anything in my book. give me and a few fairly rope-Able friends a couple beers and we'd come up the same plan. Their main reason for success was scoping out security beforehand (poss'by with inside help).

scurbox

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Makes you wonder if it was an inside job. What if they did it thinking insurance would cover it if they made it look legit. Probably had a set path for the people that worked there and never turned on the motion detectors, then just sent a small strong guy up the wall grabing the pipe and cut a hole to make it look legit. But maybe I'm over thinking this.

But it's still pretty clever either way.

G

At a Las Vegas Best Buy 5-6 years ago people pulled off the same heist except it wasn't Apple Laptops those weren't sold here yet in Best Buys. Only difference was the camera did see them. Just not good enough for them to be identified. You would think Best Buy would have done more nationwide to prevent the same thing from happening again.

mr_tuel

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
I wonder if the laptops were locked in "shark-cages" as they are at the BB I work at? Either way, bolt cutters would have taken care of padlocks.

leo2kp

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
[citation][nom]cantstanzya[/nom]Television. Television is the explanation for this - you see this in bad television. Little assault guys creeping through the vents, coming in through the ceiling - that James Bond shit never happens in real life! Professionals don't do that![/citation]

One of my favorite movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.