Activated straight talk on the BYOP Plan and I have text, phone but no data. Samsung SMG-900V model, straight talk SIM card

dtnel

Prominent
Jan 23, 2018
Activated straight talk on the BYOP Plan and I have text, phone but no data. I used the checker and it said it would work. IS there some type of provisioning that needs to occur? Would I be better off rooting the phone to delete the extra bloatware that's taking up valuable storage space also. I'd like to get the data issue resolved. I bought the $55 unlimited plan at Walmart and used the sim card that came in the pack as well. The phone is a SMG-900V model. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to sit on hold forever. Thanks!

Solution
We have knowledge on devices, not companies services and what will or won't work with them. If the problem was something specific to the phone, we could make suggestions on what you could try to fix it. However, if a service isn't working with a particular company, then only that company can resolve the issue.

Also, not all phones work with all carriers/service providers. There are different network types and other issues. Only the carrier/service provider can say for certain what will work on theirs or why something isn't working on their system.

dtnel

Prominent
Jan 23, 2018

I thought that's what the forums were here for as I normally try to use forums as people generally have knowledge or have seen issues similar. This is unless this forums don't allow this? IF that's the case please let me know.

Without forums phone lines around the world would be on hold all day long due to tech support requests. MY next option if I received no reply was to call the carrier and see what straight talk can do.

We have knowledge on devices, not companies services and what will or won't work with them. If the problem was something specific to the phone, we could make suggestions on what you could try to fix it. However, if a service isn't working with a particular company, then only that company can resolve the issue.

Also, not all phones work with all carriers/service providers. There are different network types and other issues. Only the carrier/service provider can say for certain what will work on theirs or why something isn't working on their system.

Solution

dtnel

Prominent
Jan 23, 2018

I'm clear on your solution and understand why you said what you said. I did put in the original post all the Stepside went through short of calling the carrier.

I broke down and called straight talk tonight and we went into the phone under settings, more Networks, mobile networks, access point names, and clicked on where it said Verizon internet and went in and changed it from the Verizon name that was there to TRACFONE.VZWENTP then clicked save and went out and saved again and after that I noticed I had the 4G LTE light in the top bar lit up because prior to that only the cell phone tower Bars were lit and the 4G LTE icon wasn't White as it was greyed out as if you don't have your data turned on or might don't have data since the 4G LTE icon wasn't White.

I did post my reply in an effort to help others realize that it could be a programming issue on your phone which was my issue. It was the access point name or commonly referred to as APN settings.

Hope this helps anyone else who may come across this in the future.

This will definitely help someday as up until a few months ago I didn't even know that you could use a Verizon phone out of the box with Straight Talk as long as you verify your IMEI or basically cell phone ID / SN "Serial No" with the utility tool they have on their website at straight talk.com / byop (bring your own phone).

With that being said now I get to see how well their Unlimited service is if they actually limit me.

IF the service works good then I'll move all 4 recently purchased phonesand and cell phone numbers over to straight talk and save about $150-$160 per mo compared to my Verizon account which only 1 line is unlimited and the rest are limited at a certain amount of data per m, 4 gb for 2 lines and 2 gb for the 3rd in addition to the 4th line of mine.

Yes I have a old plan but the newer plans won't do any better data wise or price wise either.

In this day and age there's no reason for less than $60 per line someone shouldn't be able to get a phone line capped at 20gb per mo and not feel like their getting robbed. Add the rescinding of Net Neutrality recently and consumers are in for a wake up call soon.

When not if that time comes hopefully it'll be a few years down the road so I will have got you some of my phone. I will then turn all of my lines off and basically tell the cable, internet and cell phone companies to stick it and cancel my service and go back to the old school way of paying bills. Had less clutter and didn't have to worry about constant email clutter back then either.

Admins please mark this issue as resolved. Thanks!

I can mark the problem solved but it's better that you make the choice of which post did the trick.

If I'd seen your original post, I would have given the same advice that webworkings gave because I interpreted it as something missing from a promised package.

I'm not familiar with US service providers but here in England, it's not unusual for a company to make their packages look better than the reality.

If you want me to choose a post, it would be the second one in this thread.