Activision Blizzard Considers Bailing on PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
There was less original xbox's sold in 4 years then there was PS3 sold in now their 3rd year.

This doesn't really make much sense though, seeing as Activision has already done the hard work of porting the game engines to the PS3 for COD, etc. so its not like a new port is extremely hard

snowysoul

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
Sony was amazing with the PS1 and PS2 however seems to have lost a lot with the PS3 considering that PS2 sells are so close behind the PS3 with less then 20,000 being the difference. It is about time sony full realized their mistake, its the game cube of sony so far.

astrotrain1000

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
Sony wasn't amazing with the PS2 they were first to market giving the the same edge that the Xbox 360 has now. The PS2 was plagued with hardware problems(disc read error anyone?) just as the xbox 360 has now. The problem is: the xbox 360 is comparable graphic wise to the PS3 and alot of people don't care about blu ray. Why pay extra money for comparable graphics only. Sony needs their killer app. Yes, I know there are good games but there is nothing that appeals to the level of Halo 3, like it or hate it sells. Sony needed Final Fantasy 13 exclusivity, but oh well.

G

Sony may gain a lot of momentum if they would just unlock the system so when linux or any other system runs it uses the full power.
Also if they would tailor there XMD to the players(like 360, each controller logs in) and some other things. They may want to bring out new development tools somewhere along the lines of a pc. Thats why 360 is doing so well with developers. You might think i'm crazy but I believe it will go along way.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
When Sony came out with the PS1 and PS2 it offered new ways for gameplay from dual anolog control sticks to vibrating controllers and pressure sensitive buttons. Plus graphics to par. PS1 had a great library, PS2 was the first console to offer an expansion slot for hardrive, and a usb port. Things like eyetoy helped the PS2 along .

Now the PS3, it offers nothing new other than beefed up hardware. It's pretty much a PS2 with better graphics. And no you can't say that about Xbox and 360 since 360 beefed online play way better than original xbox.

rdawise

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
They only and I repeat only thing Sony needs to do...drumroll please...is cut prices. I mean game developers don't care that your hardware supports blu-ray. They care about how many games their selling on your console. I still to this day don't get why Sony doesn't cut prices. I mean if blu-ray is the factor that is driving the price up then make a system without blu-ray and slash the price (I don't know if that is possible or not). I bet most customer rather have a cheaper (price) PS3 then one with blu-ray (although I do know some people who bought a PS3 just because of blu-ray). Grahpically, the PS3 is more powerful then the Xbox360, but not one will ever know this if game developers don't want to develop for your overpriced system. I think no amount of unlocking or other goodies that sony might offer would compare to a price drop.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
cutting price is one thing. Keeping blu-ray is a must!, it would be like having a PS2 without a DVD player. I think right now Sony will benefit from just scrapping the ps3 and work on a whole new unit or better psp or something because right now nintendo is dominating with both wii and DS

G

I bought both systems and have to say I spent more money on 360 accesories than the PS3 system that comes with wifi and blu ray player, I agree with the price cut for Sony its is just the wrong time in this economy for there high price point. With the 360 maxed out for performance the PS3 would be in great position in conjunction with price cut in the long run when God of War 3 comes out next year.

zaxonr34

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
They should included the PS3 as one of the biggest console flops of all time. Every successful console in history was based on the game content, not on a gimmick like Blue-Ray. Next time Sony should bet on the games and not their crap proprietary technology. The only reason why blue-ray won was because the PS3.

ailgatrat

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]Kingssman[/nom]cutting price is one thing. Keeping blu-ray is a must!, it would be like having a PS2 without a DVD player. I think right now Sony will benefit from just scrapping the ps3 and work on a whole new unit or better psp or something because right now nintendo is dominating with both wii and DS[/citation]

Who actually used their PS2 as their sole DVD player? I'm sure there were a few out there...but I'm sure most people that had a PS2 had a stand alone DVD player.

theguy82

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006
Blu-ray didn't only win because of the PS3. I smell someone in denial still that the HD-DVD is gone. Blu-ray is far superior to HD-DVD. I own a PS3 and I have no problems with it.

ailgatrat

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]zaxonr34[/nom]They should included the PS3 as one of the biggest console flops of all time. Every successful console in history was based on the game content, not on a gimmick like Blue-Ray. Next time Sony should bet on the games and not their crap proprietary technology. The only reason why blue-ray won was because the PS3.[/citation]
I believe you are correct..but only partially...it had more to do with selling DRM to the movie companies than anyhing else. Sony made the movie houses believe that their BR was going to prevent movie pirating. The major movie studios believe that BS and went along with it and now we only have Blue Ray for movies.
Of course now Blue ray movies are so expensive that most people don't buy them and they blame piracy because their format is to cost prohibitive for most users.

Harby

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]theguy82[/nom]Blu-ray didn't only win because of the PS3. I smell someone in denial still that the HD-DVD is gone. Blu-ray is far superior to HD-DVD. I own a PS3 and I have no problems with it.[/citation]

I smell YOUR denial (and ignorance). HD-DVD was superior in every way to Blu-Ray. Go check your facts and compare every feature of both formats. Features and technology involved had little to do with which format prevailed. Studios essentially decided which one they wanted. And with PS3 about to come they assumed it would sell as much as PS1/PS2 did. Well they were wrong on that one.

On-topic: Every game studio with a sense will eventually do what Activision will/might do. PS3 is massively harder to code for compared to Wii and XBOX which leads to much higher production costs.

TheMan1214

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
It's not even that the ps3 is Sony's gamecube. The thing with ps3 is that it's a lot harder to code for than the 360 and wii.Along with bad sales it also costs a company more to port to ps3 because of this complication in architecture.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
oh FUCKING BULLSHIT

maybe ACTIVISION SHOULD LOWER THEIR PRICES FOR THEIR GAMES... fucking hypocrits... DO YOU GUYS EVEN KNOW WHAT THEY'RE CHARGING FOR THEIR NEXT MILLION GUITAR HERO EXPANSIONS PACKS DUE THIS YEAR? gh5 is supposed to be $200! THATS 20 MORE THAN GHWT

this is bullshit, if anything, its that ps3 owners are too smart to buy this bs. of course i dont own a ps3, pc all the way for me =] im glad we dont have their shit games on pc

Status
Not open for further replies.