Activision Says Things are Still Good at Infinity Ward

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]somebody with talent should make another one of those Hitler videos about these whole things[/citation]

With talent? None of the other 'Downfall' spoofs were made by anyone with any talent, why start now?

ajcroteau

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Obviously the people working their had a reason to leave... whether it be for money, respect, and number of possible things... and this is the expected response from the 900lb. gorilla... everything is going great, don't worry about us, we'll keep making games just as long as you keep buying them... I didn't expect anything different to happen...

mikeadelic

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
We treat our developers extremely well... We’ve been paying our talent millions of dollars for their work.

Paying 100 "top talent" millions of dollars (assuming ~5 to be generous) doesn't sound like treating them "extremely well", it sounds pretty average.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
"Activision Says Things Still Good at Infinity Ward"
Funny, that's what our Marxists hacks in DC keep saying about the deficit.

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Only time will tell how well the next CoD will do...maybe if they bring back dedicated servers and listen to its consumers, it may have a chance of being a great game. But on the other hand you may want a life vest, just in case.

FenrirXIII

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
I'm a 360 gamer. Why? I live on 400$ a month and can't afford a new PC to play my favorite games over 30-40 FPS. I have purchased MW:2 and Bad Company 2, mostly because so many of the people on my friend list have them. MW:2 is just plagued with too many cheaters and laggers with disconnect setups like they had in halo 2/halo 3.

I played BC 2 for an entire week then went back to MW 2 to play with my lone friend who doesn't have BC yet. Lag city. I didn't have more than 5 minutes of lag freedom. It's funny, you can easily tell which ones are doing it because the guy killing you teleports in 5ft increments instead of running smoothly. I think I put an entire clip(of AUG LMG) and started my reload animation when he killed me, and the kill cam showed me just turning around and being shot by him, no bullets came from my gun.

That's when I decided that whatever team is left at IW, they're reeling so much from the leadership loss that there is no bug fixing or patching or banning going on. It's just not worth my time to see 5 consecutive TDM rounds in a row where a single guy has 50+ kills/

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]FenrirXIII[/nom]I'm a 360 gamer. Why? I live on 400$ a month and can't afford a new PC to play my favorite games over 30-40 FPS. I have purchased MW:2 and Bad Company 2, mostly because so many of the people on my friend list have them. MW:2 is just plagued with too many cheaters and laggers with disconnect setups like they had in halo 2/halo 3. I played BC 2 for an entire week then went back to MW 2 to play with my lone friend who doesn't have BC yet. Lag city. I didn't have more than 5 minutes of lag freedom. It's funny, you can easily tell which ones are doing it because the guy killing you teleports in 5ft increments instead of running smoothly. I think I put an entire clip(of AUG LMG) and started my reload animation when he killed me, and the kill cam showed me just turning around and being shot by him, no bullets came from my gun.That's when I decided that whatever team is left at IW, they're reeling so much from the leadership loss that there is no bug fixing or patching or banning going on. It's just not worth my time to see 5 consecutive TDM rounds in a row where a single guy has 50+ kills/[/citation]

apparently your a 360 gamer but like most not good with money. one can say you can get a computer or computer upgrade for a PC to play the latest games like you say if you didn't waste money on paying for that xbox live subscription that i am sure amounts up to 100 bucks a year. the best would have been to get a PS3 which has the same games yet can play online for free.

this might sound like a fanbboy rant but it is also a fact

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I'm sure that they are going to be fine financially. Most of the comments people have been making, I think, are more about how their game quality is going to tank even more and how they are going to be pushing even more crap into their games (or alternatively removing more must-have features).

So to provide the REAL answer to Q2:

We accept that we are greedy bastards, but idiot consolers will continue to buy our terrible products because they don't know any better, having never experienced what a great FPS (on PC) is actually like.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
What Thomas Tippl was really thinking when asked, "Whats going to happen to Infinity Ward?" His mouth says they have legions of slaves to cower to Activision's vision but his mind was saying "Honestly, we are really fucked at this moment I hope we make it through the year without shutting down."

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]apparently your a 360 gamer but like most not good with money. one can say you can get a computer or computer upgrade for a PC to play the latest games like you say if you didn't waste money on paying for that xbox live subscription that i am sure amounts up to 100 bucks a year. the best would have been to get a PS3 which has the same games yet can play online for free.this might sound like a fanbboy rant but it is also a fact[/citation]

XBL is $38/year, so... Yeah. I think that might upgrade his mouse?

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]figgus[/nom]XBL is $38/year, so... Yeah. I think that might upgrade his mouse?[/citation]

i guess your not good at math are you? 35 bucks a month for 12 months will come to roughly $420.00 so basically you could get a good GPU, ram, mobo/CPU combo. etc etc to upgrade a computer

FAIL! at life :)

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
The fact that the article says the fellow doing the talking is both the COO and the CFO should tell you all you need to know.

At least the developers that remain at IW won't be the only people doing two or more jobs for 3/4 the pay of one.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
So basically they are like this:

*Sticks fingers in ears, closes eyes, yells:* "Everything is perfectly fine! Nope, nothing wrong at all!" [Meanwhile, building collapses around them while others run for cover]

Yeah, I know a dramatized it a ton, but I like having fun.

G

Tipl: "We treat our developers extremely well. We have an independent studio model that provides them a lot of creative freedom while we take care of the back office stuff so they can focus on making games. If their games are successful, they are compensated better here than anywhere else. We’ve been paying our talent millions of dollars for their work. Our setup provides a win-win opportunity. We ensure your work will reach a wide audience. Therefore, we have attracted, and we will continue to attract, the top talent in this industry."

Q: Right ... but didn't you fire the two most talented developers in your team, responsible for the best selling game ever, because they wanted more creative freedom? Comfortably releaving them of duty just about the time they would receive millions in royalties for their hard work on MW2? Leaving IW bleeding young talent to Respawn Studios while Activision keeps milking the Call of Duty franchise in an epic win-win situation?

Tipl: *looking bewildered at camera* "nooooooo! ... it's lies!"

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Ah, Activision is still delusional I see. Must be the buckets of money they got for the last crappy release they did. Guess they now figure they can make sh*t and convince themselves it will sell.

Unfortunately the response to the last bit of garbage they put out seems to support their belief. (sigh!)

G

Introducng the newest installment of the Call of Duty 4 franchise: Call of Duty: Office Warfare. New features include lackluster creative gameplay, redundant maps, and internal conflict between developers. You may now choose to leave your game and still recieve experience! Future DLC will include even more redundant maps and an increasingly unsurprising gaming experience!

Status
Not open for further replies.