Adding an SSD to a Laptop

rpjkw11

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
I own a Cyberpower Fangbook HX-100 (I think) 17" laptop with an Intel Core i7-4700MQ, a 1TB 7200 HDD, ODD, and Win 7. I should have ordered an SSD, but didn't. Now I'm wondering what is involved with installing a new SSD and using my existing HDD as "regular" storage. I know the back will have to be removed, thus probably voiding the remaining warranty. Perhaps somehow finding a competent technician ( NOT the geek squad!!!!!!!!!! ).

Any advice is welcomed.

Thank you in advance.

Solution
Well, I was trying to search for the support section of their website to see if there is an open drive slot. But literally EVERY LINK leads to a BUY NOW page, no support information, drivers or anything. Ridiculous.

Removing the back panel won't void any warranty's, nor will adding/removing storage drives. Providing you don't remove anything you don't have to, nor accidentally manage to cause physical damage in any way.

If you remove the panel and see a spare drive bay, you can literally buy any SSD and insert it into the laptop. Done.

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Well, I was trying to search for the support section of their website to see if there is an open drive slot. But literally EVERY LINK leads to a BUY NOW page, no support information, drivers or anything. Ridiculous.

Removing the back panel won't void any warranty's, nor will adding/removing storage drives. Providing you don't remove anything you don't have to, nor accidentally manage to cause physical damage in any way.

If you remove the panel and see a spare drive bay, you can literally buy any SSD and insert it into the laptop. Done.

Solution

rpjkw11

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011

That's what I was wanting to know. I swap/intall drives in my desktop all the time, but this is the first attempt to upgrade a lappy. As soon as I can get my hands on a 500gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, I'll attempt the upgrade.

Thank you.

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Side note, I've added a SSD to every laptop I've had and the usability has improved a phenominal amount. Even on my newest laptop, (Gt70 2pe Dominator Pro) booting into windows was terribly slugish on the 1TB HDD. Add in a $60 SSD and the thing boots in seconds, crazy difference because laptop drives are usually significantly slower than desktop drives I've found.

rpjkw11

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011

My "no name" 1TB HDD takes 45 seconds to boot (better than the 3.5 minutes on a desktop I owned some years ago) but I'm wanting 20-30 seconds like I have on my two desktops. More importantly, Microsoft's FSX loads in less than 30 seconds, whereas on this lappy, it's over a minute.

I expect I have a bay in which I can easily drop an SSD. If not, I'll swap it for my ODD and buy a USB ODD for the times I watch movies (yeah, I'm still in the dark ages).