adding more speaker outputs to a stereo?

jdaniel 125

Estimable
Jul 14, 2015
hello

i have an old 1999 aiwa CX-NAJ22, even though it's old. the sound quality is GREAT! im currently using it as a home theater for my TV. but i want to add some more speakers to it. it only has 2 speaker wire inputs for the front speakers. and it also has 2 RCA inputs for small surround speakers. I've tried plugging in a subwoofer to the surround ports. but the sub started playing background sound effects in songs and it sounded terrible. it had wobbly bass and everything.

so. my idea is. I need a powered subwoofer that I can basically plug in to a power socket. but I would be able to use speaker wire to plug it into my stereo. I also want the subwoofer to have extra speaker wire outputs for extra speakers that my dad gave me. any help? do they even make any subwoofers that can power other speakers? i also don't care whatever thing it is such as an amplifier or something else. just as long as it can add extra speakers to my stereo.

Solution
oh now i understand you want more speakers threw stereo sound ----- well for that to be achieved you can buy a small external amp say a 4 channel as e.g. and then hook up your 2 R/L jacks to be split into 4 so you will have 4 wires coming from your L/R instead of the regular 2 -- now keep in mind this will put more strain on your stereo it self not to much tho as the external amp will take most of the brunt just try and keep the volume down on your stereo and use the amp as volume control - that is really the only way to go about doing what you would like to do as their is no other signal coming from you stereo - as e.g. an out put and if their was i think it would by pass your speakers entirely --- and your optical out is...

chozoxecho

Commendable
Apr 1, 2016
this may point you in the proper direction of what you are trying to achieve http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-hook-up-a-subwoofer-to-a-stereo-system/ --- and as for adding extra im guessing the rca for your surrounds are going to be what you need to add the extra speakers

jdaniel 125

Estimable
Jul 14, 2015

i understand the subwoofer thing now. but I can't use the RCA surround ports. they mainly send background sounds in movies to the speakers. that's what it tried to do to my subwoofer

chozoxecho

Commendable
Apr 1, 2016
oh now i understand you want more speakers threw stereo sound ----- well for that to be achieved you can buy a small external amp say a 4 channel as e.g. and then hook up your 2 R/L jacks to be split into 4 so you will have 4 wires coming from your L/R instead of the regular 2 -- now keep in mind this will put more strain on your stereo it self not to much tho as the external amp will take most of the brunt just try and keep the volume down on your stereo and use the amp as volume control - that is really the only way to go about doing what you would like to do as their is no other signal coming from you stereo - as e.g. an out put and if their was i think it would by pass your speakers entirely --- and your optical out is for a dat deck

Solution