Adding tweeters to my 5.1

CharlotteB

Estimable
Feb 2, 2015
Hi Guys,

I've just got myself a very cheap but powerful enough 5.1 system for my htpc. It's the Creative T6300.

From what I understand it's pretty good quality, but it doesn't look like the satellite speakers come with tweeters, so I was thinking about adding some myself, probably just some cheap car ones. All the ones on ebay seem to be much higher wattage than per channel wattage listed for those speakers though 100+w compared to 7w per channel. Would that cause a problem?

You guys reckon this will make a noticeable difference?

If you find that the speakers sound dull or lacking in detail you can try adding tweeters but it will be tough to get tweeters that will match the volume of your speakers. You would also need a crossover for the tweeter. The crossover filters all the sound but the highs from the tweeter. The efficiency of the tweeter (how loud it plays with 1 watt of power) is important
If the tweeter is too loud you can reduce the volume with a resistor or level control but if it doesn't play loud enough you won't be able to compensate for that.
Don't spend a lot messing around with it. The power rating on the tweeters are the maximum power handling so having less will be OK.