Solved! Adding USB Port to Monitor with Only HDMI & VGA Ports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 30, 2019
I have a HP monitor I use to display from my laptop. The monitor does not have a USB port, only HDMI and VGA ports. I would like to add a USB port to the monitor - is there a way to do this?

Link to monitor here: https://bit.ly/2TlRjR9

Note: fully aware I can just use the USB ports on the laptop, but want to add ports to the monitor so I don't have to keep plugging and unplugging and keeping track of where I put the USB. I just want it to stay with the monitor, not necessarily the laptop.

Solution
If the monitor had a USB port you couldn't use it to get video from the laptop into the monitor. It would just provide a convenient USB port for devices to connect to the PC.
You basically need an external USB video card/adapter with HDMI or VGA output. You can leave it connected to the monitor and set that as a second monitor or extended desktop.
No I do not think you can do this but you can buy a single USB breakout box with a short cable so the other devices can be plugged into it, leaving you to just plug with one USB cable into your laptop.

Alternatively buying a laptop docking station will be even easier.

If the monitor had a USB port you couldn't use it to get video from the laptop into the monitor. It would just provide a convenient USB port for devices to connect to the PC.
You basically need an external USB video card/adapter with HDMI or VGA output. You can leave it connected to the monitor and set that as a second monitor or extended desktop.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.