Advice for Buying a Laptop

Rajuvee

Estimable
Jun 2, 2014
Hi,

I am going to start college soon and I am trying to find a laptop. I did build a desktop, so for anything not engineering/school related, I will be using the desktop for (including gaming). Thus I need a laptop that can handle all the engineering software which can be pretty intensive (including 3d modeling). I am also looking for full ssd (512 gb) because of not just the speed but the durability.

Based on this I was thinking of specs of 16 gb ram, 512gb ssd, i7 quad core and around a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB.

I was looking at the Lenovo Y50-70 Laptop - 59440644. What do you think of this laptop? What other laptops you would suggest (they can be higher priced than this one)?

Thanks in advance for the help :)

mudpuppet

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I actually like that laptop. I haven't used the hybrid drive it comes with but I would imagine you can always change out the drive if needed. As far as requirements for engineering school, the specs you posted seem to fit just fine with a quick google search of recommendations from 3 different schools so you should be fine with a choice like that.

Rajuvee

Estimable
Jun 2, 2014

I heard that there were issues with the touchpad. Is that true?