Advice on antivirus/malware for new computer?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jhark515

Estimable
Jul 20, 2015
I'm building my first computer soon, and I'm a little overwhelmed with all the info out there about antivirus, anti-malware and what have you. I'll be installing windows 8. Does anyone have any advice about what programs I should install to protect my PC? I'm on a budget so the cheaper the better. Thanks!

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
Firefox does have issues, though. I would never classify it as secure, even though I wish I could. There are definitely a few exploits that need some fixing. There's a reason I don't use it lol.

nzrajput

Estimable
Jun 20, 2015

Not as many exploits/vulnerabilities as Android have :p

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014

Very true lmfao. Or Windows as a whole bahahaha

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014

There really is no such thing as "the best" for antivirus software. There are certain AVs that are better for various users, yes; however, there really is not one AV that even catches 100% of all viruses currently out there. In fact, there are many types of malware that are produced on a daily basis that no AV will pick up, because they are primarily used for other purposes (think of Stuxnet, but for a number of different purposes). There are actually a number of software engineers who happily give out RATs, trojans, and other types of viruses/malware, openly on a number of web forums. They are specially designed to avoid being detected with the typical methods used by AV software, although they are not intended for a mass release like most viruses that average computer users will get. Just throwing that out there.

Also, Avast is known for being a problematic AV, not catching a number of viruses that many other AV companies will catch, and having problems with false positives/alarms. Not trying to talk anyone out of it, but it definitely is not one of the better AVs; and it definitely could not be considered "the best," if you're basing that title on real world protection.

nzrajput

Estimable
Jun 20, 2015

You think Windows is more vulnerable? Read this: Most Vulnerable OS in 2014. You will be shocked to know who topped the list.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
nzrajput- I'm definitely not surprised to know what the OS with the most KNOWN vulnerabilities are; that's another thing entirely. When it comes to Windows, there are a number of known vulnerabilities, but not necessarily ones that have been fully disclosed. Why? Well, thanks to the Microsoft terms of use, depending on what kind of vulnerability you find, you could actually be breaking the contract you sign just by installing the OS. That wall of text nobody reads before installing their OS covers some legal ground that prevents people from legally altering the OS, which means certain vulnerabilities cannot openly be brought to the public's knowledge.

See my previous post lol- "There really is no such thing as "the best" for antivirus software." Already covered that ;) lol

nzrajput

Estimable
Jun 20, 2015
I have now switched to Avira from Windows Defender (Windows 8). It's rated 5/5 in AV-Test lab.
Use Malwarebyte Anti-Malware as the second line of defense. Keep Hitman Pro around as well. They both are on-demand scanner. When in doubt, use them.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014

Avira is a good AV, but I wouldn't go off AV-Test reports. They don't release enough information on testing, and have recently lowered certification requirements. Who knows what else got a budget cut.

The only review lab I've found to be trustworthy is AV-Comparatives. Avira is in the top three, using their reports, and my standards.

nzrajput

Estimable
Jun 20, 2015

AV-Comparatives has also rated it high. I followed both AV-Test and AV-Comparative and then decided to install it.

CWEric

Estimable
Jun 13, 2015

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware premium active protection can also be use.

nzrajput

Estimable
Jun 20, 2015

Yes, it can be used... but I am talking about Free Anti-virus solutions.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014

AV Test's testing is suspect, considering they have minimal results published. Their rating system was also compromised, as they lowered the requirements for obtaining certifications/etc.. I don't really look at any other lab from AVC because many labs are doing similar things to what AV Test is doing, or worse.

It would be much nicer if more labs provided better reports... but I digress.

Dr Gounahr

Estimable
Nov 14, 2015

First read lots of stuff on computers, how to get the best info.[GOOGLE is your friend] I signed up for beta tester from Avira A/V. They give me the latest and crazy stuff to try, report on PRO programs for free. When the testing is over, they send another, FREE!. I also love Malware Bytes PRO. [CHEAP] It was designed by a 14 yr old kid!
I love both of these for years now!

Dr Gounahr

Estimable
Nov 14, 2015
First read lots of stuff on computers, how to get the best info.[GOOGLE is your friend] I signed up for beta tester from Avira A/V. They give me the latest and crazy stuff to try, report on PRO programs for free. When the testing is over, they send another, FREE!. I also love Malware Bytes PRO. [CHEAP] It was designed by a 14 yr old kid!

Dr Gounahr

Estimable
Nov 14, 2015