Advice on buying Laptop

doom6311

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
Hi, I'm buying laptop for my brother and I need it to be under £450. From all the research I've done my best laptop I've found for him is a Lenovo G50. He's a causal user but sometimes the family uses the laptop as well.

The Lenovo G50 has 2 versions and I'm not sure on which I should purchase which is why I want to ask for some advice.

The Models are ( I'll just put in the links of the products to make it easier) :

■ i7 http://
■ AMD A8 http://

Buying the i7 would cost £38 more on the used very good section. But I don't mind paying for it, if it is better. What makes me like AMD A8 better is that it has 4 cores and my brother will have this laptop for next few years. So I want most application to hopefully still run decently on it which is why I think AMD processor is better. But I'm not sure. I would highly appreciate if got some advices from some experts on which is better.

I don't see where it says WHICH A8 apu it has. There are at least a 25 different A8 variations, ranking from about 300th place to about 920th place on passmark's benchmark list.

The Core i7-4510U ranks #459 on the list (lower numbers being better).

doom6311

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012

Its a Quad-core AMD A8-6410 for what I've looked up. I compared the processors, i7 has a higher rating but the AMD just looks more preferably especially with having 4 cores.

rannon

Estimable
May 24, 2014

rannon

Estimable
May 24, 2014
you seem to be confused with the 4 cores of amd being better or what not

the intel i7-4510u is a dual core cpu with hypertheading, so it can execute 4 threads simultaneously due to better usage of pipeline. (most i7s are quad cores too , but this is a ULV cpu ) (something the amd doesn't have thats why it has 4 physical cores to make it up leading to more power consumption)
the amd does less work per clock compared to intel .. basically much less efficient while consuming more power.
the intel runs at a higher speed compared to the amd cpu ... so it will beat the amd in single threaded applications like opening browsers , watching videos , etc

however , if it comes to something more demanding like video editing for example , the amd will perform better due to being a quad core cpu ... but it wont lead alot since intel is more efficient , slighty faster clocked ,and has 2 virtual cores.

so in summary ,

if you are going to do anything from reading emails to playing games , the intel will be better im most cases and consume alot less power..

the amd only strong point is multicore performance .... and since you rarely do anything intensive its not worth it

also i recommend the i7 for another reason , due it running cooler , just as fast in any application . you wont run into any overheating issues anytime soon!

if you still dont understand what ive said , il put it this way

this is a very large question i could go on forever about .. i dont know where to start

but

go for the i7 you will not regret it

its cooler , more efficient, faster in almost everything and sips on power giving great battery life
dont worry about the future and multi core applications , the i7 is plentyful in that area too , i mean i could play bf4 on this cpu pared with a decent gpu and get solid gameplay

im sorry if my explanation is very blurry ,

i can go into lots of details but i tried to make it as simple as possible for you ( lol xD , i failed )

but here is the answer you wanted , the intel i7 is what you want to get , dont underestimate it , it sips on power and pulls heavy loads easy .. ( longer battery life for the win because laptop )

cheers! any more questions , feel free to ask ! , satisfied with the answer ? select this as the answer to close this thread! , happy computing :)

rannon

Estimable
May 24, 2014

alright! good-luck and happy computing !

satisfied with this answer? select this to close this thread and to help others! cheers!