Advice on clean 2ch CD releases

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Hi everybody, long time lurker here.

I was wondering if someone could recommend me a clean CD release (on a
label available in Sweden).

Desired features are: Uncolored microphones (no vintage M50s etc)
straight to high resolution digital media via a (preferably)
transformerless preamp, then converted to CD format with (preferably)
noise shaping.
I'd like it if it was a simple 2ch recording using baffled omnis.

I'm tired of the multi-miked classical stuff, and all the minimalist
stuff I find is 20 years old done with something lika a Shure VP88
straight to portable DAT (and thus not very prestine sounding). Of
course, it wouldn't hurt if it was a nice performance too...

Any takers?

/Magnus
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Magnus Jans?n <magnus_jansen@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Hi everybody, long time lurker here.
>
>I was wondering if someone could recommend me a clean CD release (on a
>label available in Sweden).

How about the Jazz At The Pawnshop release? Wasn't that issued on a
Swedish label?

>I'm tired of the multi-miked classical stuff, and all the minimalist
>stuff I find is 20 years old done with something lika a Shure VP88
>straight to portable DAT (and thus not very prestine sounding). Of
>course, it wouldn't hurt if it was a nice performance too...

Check out any of the classical and jazz stuff that Radio Nederland has been
releasing up there too.

In the US, the Pope Music label has some great stuff, and all of the old
Mercury Living Presence recordings are now being reissued on CD. Get the
recording of Petrouchka... I am not a big fan of spaced triads but the
performance is amazing.
--scott

--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

I'm afraid that I may not have formulated my request precisely enough.

I am, from a predominately technical standpoint, interested in hearing
a recording that push the full dynamic range of the CD format (and
beyond using noise shaping).
In addition to the above I would prefer it if the recording was
exceedingly free from coloration by microphones, preamps and
processing. Again, to quite technically explore the range of the
format.
If the recording was made using a single pair of microphones, then
that would be nice too.
The artistical quality of the recording is, in this particular
instance, somewhat less important. I'm sorry that I did not point this
out.

Scott, I know from my pathological lurking that you are a fan of
baffled omnis, that you use B&K measurement microphones, a Millennia
Media HV-3 preamp and a Prism A/D converter. Such a combo would be
pretty much what I'm looking for. Have you ever recorded anything
using the above that is publically available?

kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote in message news:<cgnbom$4ge$1@panix2.panix.com>...
> Magnus Jans?n <magnus_jansen@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >Hi everybody, long time lurker here.
> >
> >I was wondering if someone could recommend me a clean CD release (on a
> >label available in Sweden).
>
> How about the Jazz At The Pawnshop release? Wasn't that issued on a
> Swedish label?
>
> >I'm tired of the multi-miked classical stuff, and all the minimalist
> >stuff I find is 20 years old done with something lika a Shure VP88
> >straight to portable DAT (and thus not very prestine sounding). Of
> >course, it wouldn't hurt if it was a nice performance too...
>
> Check out any of the classical and jazz stuff that Radio Nederland has been
> releasing up there too.
>
> In the US, the Pope Music label has some great stuff, and all of the old
> Mercury Living Presence recordings are now being reissued on CD. Get the
> recording of Petrouchka... I am not a big fan of spaced triads but the
> performance is amazing.
> --scott
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <d087955e.0408271403.192991b0@posting.google.com> magnus_jansen@yahoo.com writes:

> I am, from a predominately technical standpoint, interested in hearing
> a recording that push the full dynamic range of the CD format (and
> beyond using noise shaping).
> In addition to the above I would prefer it if the recording was
> exceedingly free from coloration by microphones, preamps and
> processing. Again, to quite technically explore the range of the
> format.
> If the recording was made using a single pair of microphones, then
> that would be nice too.
> The artistical quality of the recording is, in this particular
> instance, somewhat less important. I'm sorry that I did not point this
> out.

There must be something on one of the RAP CD sets that meets those
requirements.

Most people who record minimalist stereo use the most uncolored mics
and preamps that they can afford, so I would think that Scott's
recommendations would be pretty typical of what you're looking for.


--
I'm really Mike Rivers (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Magnus Jans?n" <magnus_jansen@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:d087955e.0408271403.192991b0@posting.google.com
> I'm afraid that I may not have formulated my request precisely enough.
>
> I am, from a predominately technical standpoint, interested in hearing
> a recording that push the full dynamic range of the CD format (and
> beyond using noise shaping).

IOW, a recording made in an anechoic chamber?

Here's a document that lists the peak levels at various locations on an
orchestral stage. Largest number I see is 124.5 dB.

http://www.yeodoug.com/resources/faq/faq_text/noiselevels.html

Knock off 93 dB as the dynamic range of a dithered CD. That leaves 31.5 dB.
At this point it seems like we have a fair a chance of finding a hall that
quiet. But, there's also like 100 living, breathing, humans up on that
stage. No cigar.

As a practical matter, the widest range orchestral recording I've ever been
able to find had about 70 dB dynamic range.

The widest dynamic range commercial studio recording weighed in at about
73-75 dB.

Once upon a time I tried to make the widest dynamic range recording I could,
posted it at

http://www.pcabx.com/technical/reference/triangle-2_2496.wav .

That one gets up into the mid-80s.

Here's the equipment list:

http://www.pcabx.com/technical/sample_rates/index.htm
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Thanks everyone for their help.

The M-A stuff looks like it's just what the doctor ordered.

/Magnus
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Magnus Jans?n wrote:

> Hi everybody, long time lurker here.

> I was wondering if someone could recommend me a clean CD release (on a
> label available in Sweden).

My site contains a link to at least one source, see the recording
section.

> /Magnus


Kind regards

Peter Larsen

--
*******************************************
* My site is at: http://www.muyiovatki.dk *
*******************************************
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Magnus Jans?n wrote:

> I was wondering if someone could recommend me a clean CD release (on a
> label available in Sweden).
>
> Desired features are: Uncolored microphones (no vintage M50s etc)
> straight to high resolution digital media via a (preferably)
> transformerless preamp, then converted to CD format with (preferably)
> noise shaping.
> I'd like it if it was a simple 2ch recording using baffled omnis.
>
> I'm tired of the multi-miked classical stuff, and all the minimalist
> stuff I find is 20 years old done with something lika a Shure VP88
> straight to portable DAT (and thus not very prestine sounding). Of
> course, it wouldn't hurt if it was a nice performance too...

Can you obtain any of the solo piano recordings of Ivan Moravec that
were produced and engineered by Max Wilcox in the 1980s? They were
made with a signal pair of spaced Schoeps CMC 52 omni microphones,
feeding a transformerless microphone preamp which was connected
directly to a very carefully adjusted Sony PCM-1610 processor. No
further signal processing or even level adjustment was then done.
There are complete CDs of music by both Debussy and Chopin. These
have been released on Vox, on the Moss Music Group label, and reissued
in other countries on other labels as well. Dr. Stanley Lipshitz has
sometimes used them as examples of recordings with accurate very-low-
level material on them--which made me quite proud, since I was the
digital technician for those sessions.

There is a CD currently available on Nonesuch with music of Elliott
Carter, all of which was produced and engineered by Max Wilcox during
this same general period of time. It includes a lovely recording of
the Piano Sonata played by the late Paul Jacobs. I wasn't the techie
for these sessions but my former boss (MacDonald Moore) was, and I am
fairly certain that these are "purist" two-mike recordings.

Also, most recordings produced and engineered by Elite Recordings
(Marc Aubort and Joanna Nickrenz) were made with only a pair of Schoeps
M 221B microphones in the omni setting. There are numerous Nonesuch
classical recordings made in this way, though those were made from
30 ips analog tape masters until the mid-1980s, edited in analog and
then transferred to digital from there. One of my favorite orchestral
recordings made by Elite, which appears to be "DDD," is of Busoni's
"Turandot" Suite with the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra. It was
released on the MMG label in the United States and may be available
elsewhere by license.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Audio 3
A Audio 0
T Audio 1
Quabbe Audio 2
A Audio 1
Z Audio 1
K Audio 2
A Audio 1
B Audio 4
B Audio 6
B Audio 5
B Audio 4
G Audio 1
L Audio 2
F Audio 10
M Audio 3
B Audio 2
S Audio 11
J Audio 2
V Audio 3

ASK THE COMMUNITY