Advice - TV setup in second home

atzmom

Estimable
Feb 6, 2015
Is there a way we can get content from our primary home, where we have comcast cable, to the TV in our vacation home where we have internet, but no cable. I know I can get a Roku or Chromecast to stream some content, but not network television or sports. Would a Slingbox or similar device allow me to watch programs on TV at second home?

atzmom

Estimable
Feb 6, 2015

Do you have a sling box at each location? How do you get content from computer to TV at second home? I think I need a slig box at primary residence and then something like a Roku at second? I'm sort of overwhelmed by the technology.

G

The main Slingbox goes next to your video source (home 1). It converts the video signal (HDMI perhaps) into TCP/IP that can be transmitted over the Internet. At the far end (home 2) you can either receive these signals on a PC/laptop/phone, or there are separate Sling receivers (Sling Catcher) that can be bought if you'd prefer.

I'd suggest an old laptop etc is quite useful to decode the Sling data and output to the TV over HDMI.