Affordable laptop with high resolution

dblur

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
I'm looking for a laptop with a screen no larger than 15.6" but has a resolution > than 1366X768. So far the only affordable one I've found is the Dell XPS 15.

I'm essentially hoping to find these specs in a laptop for less than $900
Sandy Bridge i5
Blu-ray
Video card > than Intel's HD 3000
Screen resolution > than 1366X768

Questions
1.) Is a resolution this great on a screen that small unnecessary? My current laptop is a 14" 1024X768 and I feel like I could use some more real estate.
2.) Is the i5 powerful enough to play bluray flawlessly? I hear the i7s get pretty hot and since I don't game nor video encode etc, I'd rather not have an i7.

Deals on the XPS 15

Solution
My bad on the core count for i5 - was thinking about desktop CPU. and some pre-SB i5.
as far as heat, the SB i7 2630QM quad core is only 10 watt more than the i5 dual core, and that is worst case. my unit has the 2630qm and it does not get hot at all ( at least the cpu, GPU is another question, however)
good coupon deal at xoticpc is probably not going to happen..
I did buy my current notebook at xoticpc just for reference. good stuff, but cheap it is not ( depending on your needs)

dblur

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
I'm still interested in suggestions of some other laptops other than the XPS 15 that offer a resolution greater than 1366X768 in a screen no larger than 15.6".

randomstar

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
For blue-ray, any of the Higher I3 CPU even would be good. I would however look for a true quad i5, and the resolution really does make a difference.
you cannot really go wrong with the XPS 15, overall. I would maybe look at the Dell outlet and see if you cannot find a deal one with the 1080 display.
for watching blue-ray, without a 1080 display you are really not getting the full effect when watching on the notebook display.
maybe one of the more basic models at xoticpc.com will fit the bill?
( at work so I cannot put the link, but I am sure some of the other guys here can send you to one specific model)

dblur

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
Thanks for your response. According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge#Mobile_processors they don't make a quad i5. I've just read the i7's get hot in laptops so I want to stay away from that if I don't need the extra power.

I didn't know dell laptops were less expensive at the outlet. I'll look around there. I played around at xoticpc and its about $950 for what I want. They ever have some good coupon deals?

randomstar

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
My bad on the core count for i5 - was thinking about desktop CPU. and some pre-SB i5.
as far as heat, the SB i7 2630QM quad core is only 10 watt more than the i5 dual core, and that is worst case. my unit has the 2630qm and it does not get hot at all ( at least the cpu, GPU is another question, however)
good coupon deal at xoticpc is probably not going to happen..
I did buy my current notebook at xoticpc just for reference. good stuff, but cheap it is not ( depending on your needs)

Solution