Affordable PC Gaming? Dell XPS 630 Review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I just did a quick component price-check on the Gateway model to see how much it would cost to build the machine yourself. I tried to find the lower limit by finding the cheapest components that matched the specs provided (all prices were off of newegg). Without a case, mobo (couldn't find the type of mobo the gateway uses), keyboard, mouse, and speakers, I came up with $775. Keep in mind that these are the cheapest components that I found (during my 10 minute search). You could probably be scrappy and cover the case, mobo, and speakers for about $50-$100. Well that's pretty close to the prebuilt model that includes parts and labor and a guarantee that the damn thing will run (remember that the DIY build used the cheapest components, which no self-respecting system builder would do)! I've always been of the impression that you can always build your own machine that will destroy any other equally priced prebuilt machine hands down; this gateway system blows me away! Even for an amateur builder, like me, this gateway might actually be cheaper than building a similarly-performing computer yourself. Well done, Gateway. Well done.

G

I work for dell on the XPS sales chat line (the guy you talk to when you log on for sales support on Dell.com) .. and Common people is soo right, gateway always pulls that stunt, (big hard drive, new processor ect.. and you get low end motherboards, chipsets and PSUs). But FYI if you do order a gateway, just ask for $100 off the price each time they delay your order, so after 1 or 2 moths you could get a hefty discount. As far as the processor option goes (not having the E8200).. we just started manufacturing the 630 for mass production, you?re not going to get all of the options available on day one. We have to set up production lines for mass production. So we offer what we know we can get out quick to our customers, this avoids long lead times. I am sure other Processor options will be available shortly

G

I checked DELL.COM and didnt find the same system. Changed from Core Duo E8200 to E6600, but same price.

NO way JOSE, I'm never getting a DELL

qquizz

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2003
Surely Dell meant for you to try the faster Corsair RAM by itself, not in combination with that PC2 5300. And even if they didn't mean for you to do that, why didn't you? Just curious.

qquizz

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2003
The RAM they sent you cannot be configured on the Dell Website. You cannot buy Corsair PC2 8500, only PC2 6400 (ddr2 800). At least that is what it says there when you configure one on the Dell website.

ap90033

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]630isTHEgood[/nom]I work for dell on the XPS sales chat line (the guy you talk to when you log on for sales support on Dell.com) .. and Common people is soo right, gateway always pulls that stunt, (big hard drive, new processor ect.. and you get low end motherboards, chipsets and PSUs). But FYI if you do order a gateway, just ask for $100 off the price each time they delay your order, so after 1 or 2 moths you could get a hefty discount. As far as the processor option goes (not having the E8200).. we just started manufacturing the 630 for mass production, you?re not going to get all of the options available on day one. We have to set up production lines for mass production. So we offer what we know we can get out quick to our customers, this avoids long lead times. I am sure other Processor options will be available shortly[/citation]
No offense but whether its true or not, you come from a biased position. :)

ap90033

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I hope no one thinks that Gateway is the ONLY company known to have used cheap parts in their pc's... *cough* *cough* dell.... I have three dell towers Im working on as we speak, man talk about cheapo parts 250 watt power supply for a P4? nice...

KenVH

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2008
2 Major problems:

You almost have to ignore this entire review because you can't actually get the system that was reviewed. Your options from Dell are the E8200 processor, Q6600 Quad-Core (8MB L2 cache,2.40GHz,1066FSB) or the QX6850 (8MB,3.0GHz, 1066FSB) for a mind numbing $950 additional. A lot of the gaming benchmarks from this review will be relatively unaffected, but all of the multimedia audio, video, encoding and application benchmarks are just void, because the processor does the majority of those workloads.

There is also an issue with the review of the increased RAM. The 2GB originally is running at 667mhz and Dell sent along the 800mhz Corsair stuff... which was handicapped by putting it in the system with the 667mhz stuff (as noted in the review)... but the reality is that you can't get that configuration from Dell. On the Dell website, or over the phone, your 3 options are A)all 667mhz generic memory B) all 800mhz generic memory or C) all 800mhz Corsair Dominator.

For a review to mean anything, you actually have to be able to purchase the system being reviewed. In this case you just can't. I'd really considering this system... I'd LOVE to see an update with configurations that you can actually purchase.

G

I totally agree with "KenVH" - I want to see a review with the Q6600 processor or an addendum stating the potential difference in performance since I want to get this system and am not sure if I should wait settle for the 6600 being offered or whether I should wait.

I might be on drugs but I could have sworn that yesterday morning there were about 5-6 processor choices including a 2.6 quad core option, but then later on in the day only the 2 remained...

joetx

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2008
I've read several reviews of the XPS 630. They all allude to it can be overclocked but none of them actually try it.

What if any overclocking does the 630 support?

FYI - Right now using the Dell Home 20% off coupon you can get a Q6600, 4G, 500GB system with dual 8800GT/512M's for $1360!!!

G

The last few times I had to talk to tech support, there was a real language barrier. Ever since Dell outsourced their support they also lost my business. Keep this in mind when considering a system.

G

I just ordered one. You have full overclocking support for the processor and memory including increasing the voltage. The reviewer was supposed to test the memory 2GB at a time not all 4GB at once. DUH. What did I get for $1501? Q6600, 4GB 800 MHz, dual 8800GT, 500GB drive, 24" flat panel, 1yr warranty. I think I'll be happy with it and Supream Commander. Used 20% and 17% stacking coupon. Only downside? Dealing with damn non-english speaking tech support if something breaks.

Kuhlguy

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2008
should i get a xps 720 or this new 630. I priced 1 today and they seem to have the same gear but the 630 was about 150 dollars more but has 2 8800gt, the 720 only has 1?? I realy dont know a ton about comp. can some1 plz help me :) TY.

G

I've been thinking about buying a new budget-ish gaming PC this year, which is why I was looking at the XPS 630. Then I saw the Gateway FX540X, which seems to me like a pretty damn comparable system in terms of specs & price ($1.5k with following specs). Thoughts?
http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529667893.php#techspecs

Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 (2.40GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 8MB cache)2
3072MB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2-1024 & 2-512)
500GB 7200rpm Serial ATA II/300 hard drive w/ 16MB cache3
Hybrid Blu-Ray/HD DVD Player and SuperMulti Format DVD-RW DL Drive 16X Super MFDVDRW/DVD-RAM+/-R Double Layer
NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800GT 512MB Factory Overclocked (Dual DVI, VGA adapter and TV Out)
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer PCI Sound Card
9-in-1 Memory Card Reader
Logitech® X-240 2.1 Speakers
Gateway FX540X Recovery DVD V1.0 - MENTOR
Gateway® 7-bay BTX tower case
Gateway® Elite Keyboard (Windows Vista® Certified)
NVIDIA® nForce® 680i LT Chipset
Soft-touch USB Optical Wheel Mouse
700 Watt Power Supply

ap90033

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
For non system builders, Gateway has some nice systems. The FX Series is pretty nice and you can say "Dude I got a Gateway" LOL

G

In my 17 year IT career I have never been subject to such disappointing technical support.

I opened an issue with XPS technical 4 weeks ago. It was a carry over from a previous incident I phoned in April. I am told "incredibly" that there is no record of this incident. I guess things happen so I accepted this and moved on. Regardless, a new incident was logged on Sep 6th for me. I am taken through a series of troubleshooting steps and 3... that right "3" goto assist sessions to help resolve my issue. Nothing helps and after over 2 weeks of troubleshooting the XPS support staff finally come to conclusion that I need a replacement video card. That the current video card series is "defective". It's even posted in the Dell knowledge base.

Great!, they recommend that I get the new ATI series cards in crossfire to replace my NVIDIA 8800 GTX card in SLI. I'm okay with this except for the fact that my 680i motherboard does not support those cards in that configuration. I find it bizarre that an XPS support technician in not aware of this and point this out. They confirm and then apologize for not knowing this. Their supervisor recommends then that I get a motherboard replacement and suggests that the new 790i motherboard will accept the new ATI cards. Well I think "WoW this must be an expensive and complex replacment" but okay... That is why I purchased both "Next day business service AND Complete Care!" for extra $$$ with the system about 400 more. But WAIT!... I ask... the new motherboard... would it fit in my 720 h2c chasis? Dell support tech reps put me on hold again and then say... no... Whoops I guess we don't know our own product... again extremely bizarre that they do not know basic stuff like this.

Well that option is now down the drain. I suggest the new Nvidia 280 GTX cards. They say they need authorization for this from their special resolution group. I say that would be just fine. Then they promise me a call back in 48 hours. Which means I should be getting a call on the 23rd of September.

That date comes and goes without an update or call. so I call again to inquire when I would be recieveing the promise call back. A differnet Dell supervisor tells me "sorry" and assures me that I will get a call in the next 24 hours. I guess everyone can mess up... no problem... I say okay. By know I have spent over 9 hours over the phone over numerous sessions.

Another 24 hours comes and goes and still no call back. So I call again... "my second reminder call" on Sep. 24th. Again the apology and again a promise to call me back. This time at a predetermined time at 9:30 PST on the 25th. Yeat another dell supervisor apologizes and then assures me that he will schedule a call back at that exact time. Now I have a job of course so I need to make sure I'm available at that time. So I do that. Again another day goes by and 9:30am comes and still no call back. Infact I don't get a call back that whole day.

Now I'm extremely frustrated. I paid $$400-500 extra for premium level support but I can't seem to get a simple call back. My system has not been working really since I received it on March 08 and I'm getting the serious run around here for a $5600 system.

I call again on the 26th and now I'm very upset but calmly explaining how poor the service I have been receiving to date has been. The new tech support supervisor now informs me for the first time that the "special resolution group" is backed up and that is why i have not been given my promised callback and resolution. She promises that without fail that by Monday I will be receiving my call back if not sooner. Now by this time I have receive 4. Count them. NOT 1, not 2, not 3 but 4... that is right 4 promises for a callback that have not been fulfilled. Even their case notes reflect this and the new 5th... supervisor reads and is stunned by their own level of poor service and does not "know what to say to me". Again... another promise... this time "with absolute certainty of a call back." So I reluctantly agree to this again... (you would think I would know better by now) but I wait again for this elusive callback from this "Special resolution" group at Dell. Promises are made about emails sent "directly to the manager of this group" threatening punitive action if I do not get my call back... not from me but from the manager handling my case in support at the time to the manager of this "special resolution" group if I do not receive my call back in a timely manner.

Can you guess what happens next?... that right... I wait another 24 hours and now it's 9/30/08 and still nothing. 5 promised call backs. I violations of their own service level commitments to me (the customer) I call again today (9/30) I get more hollow apologies, And more promises from another manager.

At this point I have to point this out to Dell consumers and potentional consumers this event as I believe no one should have to endure this kind of service

Status
Not open for further replies.