After pressing Fn key keyboard is not working

Jun 26, 2018
Hello, I have Toshiba laptop QOSMIO X70-B. I have a problem with keyboard.

Everything was working absolutely fine, without any problem. Today my keyboard suddenly stopped working.
Firstly I didnt know why, but I have already found out that this problem is cause by pressing Fn key.

As soon as I press Fn key, I am not able to use my keyboard anymore, except F (Fn) keys, which are working ine the way like the Fn is still pressed - means, that for example my brightness keys (F2 and F3) are working even without Fn key being hold down. F4 key, which should be used for choosing the screens (when projecting) is somehow typing letter "p" instead. And this is the only letter I am able to write (by pressing F4, after the accident with Fn) with my keyboard. All other keys on keyboard are having no action at all.

I have read lots of posts already, and tried all different combinations like Fn+Ctrl, Fn+Alt, Fn+Numlock, etc, etc.
Also tried holding the Fn key for 10+ seconds.

Nothing worked. The only remedy is to restart laptop and the keyboard is working just fine...untill i hit Fn button again.

Once Fn button is pressed, its over and restart is needed to use the keyboard again.

Any suggestions?
Thank you very much.

Jun 26, 2018
F5 is the Functional key for enabling/disabling touchpad.
I just tried and forced the issue, but the combination Fn+F5 is not the solution. I am typing this with on screen keyboard an imma restart the pc now :/

Jan 3, 2019
I have the same problem! I have an HP Pavilion with Windows 10. The keyboard stopped working a while ago, all keys except for the function keys. Sometimes, it started typing ************ all of a sudden until I pressed another key.
Sometimes I turn it off and it works again, but stops working after a while. Sometimes restarting or turning off does not even work.
Thinking it was a hardware problem, I replaced the keyboard but same problem. The new keyboard does not work except for the function keys (F1 to F12).
Today the keyboard was working and I discovered a trigger: the keyboard stopped working after I pressed the "mute" function key (F6).
Any solutions??? Your help is much appreciated!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
danielxfx Laptop Tech Support 1
D Laptop Tech Support 1
R Laptop Tech Support 1
R Laptop Tech Support 1
K Laptop Tech Support 1
A Laptop Tech Support 1
N Laptop Tech Support 1
A Laptop Tech Support 1
D Laptop Tech Support 1
P Laptop Tech Support 1
R Laptop Tech Support 2