"Age of Empires II" Gets Expansion Pack After 13 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best map was Black Forest. I'd just build row after row of towers and walls at the choke points then just sit and build up resources and tech. At the same time let the computer opponents drain there resources fighting eachother and burning up man power against my walls. Then when the time was right kill off a bunch of civilians and just steamroll opponents with massive armies and maxed out tech.

AoE had it's day. The Total War games offer everything I ever wanted I couldn't imagine going back to AoE.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
I expect it to be a free DLC, because they've recruited the AoFE modder(s?) to fix the mess Hidden Path left behind, and "The Forgotten" will basically be AoFE.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Talk about headline baiting. Had to get 2 paragraphs into the article to find out that the expansion is for the HD remake that was released in April. Headline should be "'Age of Empires II HD' Gets Expansion Pack After 4 Months."

DsrtFx

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
"The Forgotten" SHOULD be free to download and use, if they want anyone at all to shell out money for Age 2 HD...my friends and I will enjoy playing my original Age 2 copy with Forgotten Empires just fine without paying any money for the exact same thing.

wysir

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
I keep trying to get out... And they pull me back in!

I'm wondering how this will effect balances and such. Us CS map modders have some work to do to update so you can use the 'new' races.

whimseh

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
Sorry but changing the resolution doesn't make a game HD, they shouldn't be allowed to call it AoE 2 HD. I'm not spending money on something I already have when I can just download mods that are better, lol. Pathetic.

ammaross

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
From the article: "Players will also be able to control up to 500 units at a time instead of the current 200-unit limit."

Actually, the "HD" remake is what jumped the pop cap to 500. The expansion has nothing to do with it. Take it the writer hasn't even played the new HD version...

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
I liked Empire Earth more. Also liked Pharaoh, Galactic Civilizations 2, Silent Hunter 3, Sims 2, Ultima, etc.. Hope they all will be updated just to run on Win 7/8.
my humble 2 cents.

dvo

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
i hadnt realized that 1999 was 13 years ago. for some reason i was under the impression it was 2013

dvo

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
i hadnt realized that 1999 was 13 years ago. for some reason i was under the impression it was 2013

pezonator

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Forgotten Empires is a truly amazing fan made expansion. I really can't believe Microsoft slapped on new resolutions and re-released the game, after this expac was made.... The only good thing about steam is the multiplayer (does it have that?) FE added HD resolutions first, 5 new civs, new campaigns, new units, new maps and new AI and 60 fps limit for smooth playback.

AoE2 still has it's day, 10 times better than AoE3 and this FE xpac is very polished and professional. Clearly I can't praise it enough, these people deserve money.

Status
Not open for further replies.