Alienware 17 HDMI IN Monitor Brightness

Jun 11, 2018
I have an alienware 17 that i want to use as a monitor to play ps4 games on. However, when i do, the screen is really dim. Even when i use keyboard shortcuts to up the screen brightness to maximum, it is only like 30-40% of the max brightness as when i use my computer normally. Is there a way to access or change the settings or brightness of my laptop's screen for hdmi in? For reference, i have windows 7.

Solution
maybe power management can influence it:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/adaptive-brightness-dimming-issue.777958/

maybe there is a BIOS setting in the laptop?
Try this...

1. Go into "Control Panel" and then "Power Options".

2. Click the "Change plan settings" link next to which ever plan you are currently using and then click "Change advance power settings".

3. In this new window click "Display" to open up the listings under it.

4. Now locate and click each of the following..."Display brightness", "Dimmed display brightness" and "Enable adaptive brightness".

5. Change each of these to the settings you wish, then click the "Apply" button and finally the "OK" button.

Jun 11, 2018

This does not work. There is also no adaptive brightness setting. Keep in mind, this is for HDMI input.

Jun 11, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from gunzmaster95jh : "Laptop HDMI Input Settings"

I have an Alienware 17, and occasionally use it as a monitor for consoles such as my ps4. However, the settings for screen brightness and audio settings seem to be different when in HDMI input mode vs when i am using the laptop normally. It wasn't too huge of an issue, just a much dimmer screen and lower audio, but today, while playing KH1.5 on ps4, the sound glitched out (stuttered and then went silent), and i can't seem to get it to come back. Ive tried different hdmi cables, restarted the ps4, restarted windows audio on my laptop, etc. Anyways, is there a way to access the separate settings for while my computer is in HDMI Input mode? I can use some keyboard shortcuts for minor audio and brightness changes, but they don't do a whole lot.

Which alienware 17 is it? R1, R2, R3 or R4?

Because the HDMI-in is just passed through to the display and has nothing to do with windows, I don´t think you can change any settings other than you already tried.

If the sound glitched out, your PS4 could be faulty. Did you try it on a TV or other monitor?
Other than that your HDMI-in port could be faulty. Did you try to connect a different HDMI device in this port?

Jun 11, 2018

I'm not sure which model, it doesn't say. It, along with the manual given to me upon purchase, only states alienware 17. Additionally, I realize it's only a passthrough, but there must be some way to force an increased brightness, no? I mean something is controlling the video settings on the monitor in input mode, even if there is not a direct method to access those settings? The sound thing i was able to resolve by rebooting the computer, so it's not a big deal, but i still can't stand the dimness in the display. Is there any homebrew methods to changing the default hdmi in settings? Perhaps some value(s) in the registry? Thanks again for any help.