Alienware 17 R3, will not power on, Ac adapter box light turns off when plugged in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 22, 2018
Hello, I’m hoping someone can help me with this rather annoying issue. One day when using my Alienware 17 R3 laptop, it randomly shutoff. I thought it could have overheated. The laptop would not turn back on and I noticed that the charger box light was off when plugged into my computer. I removed it and and got electrocuted the box light remained off until I unplugged it and plugged it back in. The computer showed no signs of life. I grabbed another Ac adapter and the same thing happened. If I remove the charger from the laptop while plugged in it zaps and you can smell burnt electronics in the charger port. Thinking the port was the problem, I replaced it and the same problem persisted. It started to sound like a mb problem, I couldn’t see anything physically wrong with it and I’m hoping it isn’t a mb problem, I no longer have a warranty and I’m not exactly well off enough to buy a new laptop, or a mb.

Any thoughts on what I could do? I haven’t messed with the battery at all because it’s internal with multiple cells but I suppose I could remove them or something if it meant potentially fixing it or figuring out the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Sep 22, 2018

The laptop was charging during gameplay. I’m assuming I probably couldn’t replace or fix this? I did google for the component you said and I did find multiple transistors for fairly cheap but I’m not super experienced when going this deep into the computers electronics. Is it toast or simply remove and replace?

Status
Not open for further replies.