Solved! Alienware 17 R4 Laptop Help Please

Feb 22, 2019
Need help, I have a black screen and cant get into anything,
Story:
Logged in on my laptop, it had updates so I updated rebooted and had what looked like a red matrix on my screen everywhere, looked like my Graphic card was going out so I jumped on a game and picture was just fine got off and the screen looked crazy, rebooted hit f12 did a test everything passed, decided to do a wipe after reading issues with the updates for the gtx1070, the computer did its wipe. was going to wipe bios to but put it in legacy secure off now I have a black screen and cant even get into bios or f12, already reset the Cmos now im just lost

Solution
It sounds a lot like the integrated graphics may be the problem. To test it out, try the following...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
  2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
  3. Turn on the external monitor.
  4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the...
It sounds a lot like the integrated graphics may be the problem. To test it out, try the following...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
  2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
  3. Turn on the external monitor.
  4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

You may also want to try hitting CTRL + SHIFT + WIN + B to try and reset your graphics driver as another possible fix.

Solution