Alienware 18 cpu heatsink removal

dmoe33

Commendable
May 18, 2016
So I took apart my alienware 18 for a repaste but Im struggling to get the CPU heatsink off.

The 4 screws are the issue, no matter what I do the heatsink doesn't come off. The screws turn but I have no idea if they're coming out or going in when i try to re tighten them. Attempting to remove it feels like I'm putting way too much force into it.

racksmith101

Proper
Apr 20, 2018
The screws may be captive screws and don't come out of the heatsink (so you can't lose them),try undoing them all and giving the heatsink a twist to break the adhesion of the thermal paste, don't pull it out towards you as you can pull the CPU out the socket and damage the CPU and mobo. Sometimes it's worthwhile running the pc for a while to warm and soften the paste .

dmoe33

Commendable
May 18, 2016
The screws may be captive screws and don't come out of the heatsink (so you can't lose them),try undoing them all and giving the heatsink a twist to break the adhesion of the thermal paste, don't pull it out towards you as you can pull the CPU out the socket and damage the CPU and mobo. Sometimes it's worthwhile running the pc for a while to warm and soften the paste .

Yes they are also ive tried twisting it as best I can as the heatsinks design doesn't really allow for it but had no luck. I'm contemplating not doing the cpu but I'm worried that the screws are lose, will that cause issues?

TRENDING THREADS