Alienware/ ASUS others/ GTX 970M / 980M

KmKnD

Estimable
Jun 13, 2015
Hi guys,

I'm in Montreal, CANADA and looking to buy a gaming laptop. My budget is 2400 CAD MAX and I have the following options:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/dell-alienware-17-3-gaming-laptop-epic-silver-intel-i7-4710hq-128gb-ssd1tb-hdd-16gb-ram-english-anw17-6421slv/10361634.aspx?path=f0b6230b22dd4d4872417ab8fa7a6772en02
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/dell-alienware-17-3-gaming-laptop-epic-silver-intel-i7-4710hq-1tb-hdd128gb-ssd-16gb-ram-windows-8-anw17-5000slv/10361635.aspx?path=ae1108df0550cc77da6d0c98c70df4fcen02
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232229&cm_re=asus_rog-_-34-232-229-_-Product

Now I wish I could find Asus ROG with 128 GB SSD and 980M GPU but I couldn't find it and this one is unfortunately is about 2500 CAD with tax so... Out of these 3 options and other suggestions, what should I get?

I don't prefer to buy MSI since I wasn't happy about its material quality and other unknown brands. Only the reliable ones. Thank you!

Solution
Yo. Any particular reason you're buying it from bestbuy instead of getting it custom-made at alienware.ca directly? I would highly recommend you do what i did. Buy the best CPU and GPU you can, minimize on the RAM, HDD, Disc drive because those are VERY easily self-replaceable. I spent $100 each buying 2 SSD's (180 and 240gb best in market when i upgraded) back when Dell was charging $200 per one. SSD's are cheap to come by and very easily self-replaceable so don't worry about getting one. The RAM that dell provides isn't the best (I got 2x 4g Kingston sticks and 2x 2g unbranded ones by default). I would definitely say grab an i7 and 980m though because those two will stick for a very long time.

The first thing I'd say though is if...

mendameister

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Yo. Any particular reason you're buying it from bestbuy instead of getting it custom-made at alienware.ca directly? I would highly recommend you do what i did. Buy the best CPU and GPU you can, minimize on the RAM, HDD, Disc drive because those are VERY easily self-replaceable. I spent $100 each buying 2 SSD's (180 and 240gb best in market when i upgraded) back when Dell was charging $200 per one. SSD's are cheap to come by and very easily self-replaceable so don't worry about getting one. The RAM that dell provides isn't the best (I got 2x 4g Kingston sticks and 2x 2g unbranded ones by default). I would definitely say grab an i7 and 980m though because those two will stick for a very long time.

The first thing I'd say though is if you're buying a gaming laptop with that high of a budget, you definitely want Alienware, I'm almost 3 years into mine and i still get technicans at the door within a week if something go's wrong. Really LOVE that customer service.

Second thing is i notice the first option is $2100 and has a 980m vs the second option that's 970m but has a touchscreen.

If you look on dell's builds, all the laptops come with the default Killer 1525 Wireless card (which imo, killer cards are AMAZING, but my n1103- stopped getting driver updates and stopped working (have to use generic windows drivers) after the first 2 months.

Literally the only difference i saw on the bestbuy one's are the $2100 is 980m, the $1900 is 970m with touchscreen.

The price on the Alienware.ca website is the same, however i still recommend them just because of the in-home technicians and the fact that if your laptop has problems within the first month, you can demand it be replaced entirely instead of repaired. If you talk to a cust. rep, you can also haggle for better deals. (I got my 2800 laptop down to 2400 because i told them about how i had a 2.8k budget and didn't know about taxes & always wanted an alienware which at the time was legit).

Solution

KmKnD

Estimable
Jun 13, 2015
Hey man,

The reason why I wanted to buy it from bestbuy is because I kinda want to see the laptop before I buy this time. Last time, I bought an MSI GE70 (3 yrs ago) online without really seeing it.

Also, the alienware.ca seemed a bit more expensive but I could totally call them to see. I don't want to open up my laptop, insert SSD and play around with the OS this time. Last time I upgraded my MSI one, changed the fan etc but eventually this time, I just wanna pay and get a perfect product which in my opinion is a laptop with 980/970M + SSD+ fan below the bottom panel so I can clean.

Also, I'm not sure where the customer service is so I was counting on bestbuy to handle it in case something goes wrong. I'm open to your advice.

KmKnD

Estimable
Jun 13, 2015
ACTUALLY, I think it's about 100$ cheaper since it seems like alienware.ca is not adding tax on the price. However, I'm not sure if 8 GB RAM would be enough for a system of this caliber.

mendameister

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012

The thing about Dell customer service is you call them up, wait maybe 5-20 minutes, tell them what your problem is. They'll remotely-troubleshoot it. They have a bunch of programs pre-installed that run thorough system tests. If there's other issues, (eg. recently my left speaker was distorted and my charger cable broke) they sent a technician over with replacement parts & charger, he took my laptop apart, replaced the speakers, cleaned out the insides of the laptop (i had thermal/compressed air at home) and then wiped it all clean.

Main reason i paid extra with Dell is for the extended warranty. I dread having to send my laptop in to a warehouse or something for a week+ ; so having instant at-home support is so worthwhile.

Also, IDK if you have Canada Computers in Montreal, but i got one here in Mississauga and they charge like $20-40 to make your PC for you, Pretty sure i could just take my laptop in anytime to ask them to swap out some parts. (Which i want to do to upgrade to a 980m since my AMD 7970m is starting to feel sluggish + Nvidia is just so much better w/ their constant updates)