Alienware Aurora R5 Review: Awesomely Upgradable

Status
Not open for further replies.

BthundahP

Commendable
May 17, 2016
plus this machine is future capable of anything basically , bios , killer ethernet, alienware fx , updates like non stop.

nigelivey

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
So all you are paying for is a case with some lighting and a bit of branding, branding which means nothing since its sell off to Dell. Any PC is capable of upgrade if all you want left is the case!

Jack_178

Commendable
Sep 29, 2016
A main point of criticism from alienware versus other OEMs and boutique system integrators is the shoddy and even precarious cable management. It's not only ugly but can also lead to serious issues like product malfunction. I was disappointed to not see this addressed despite the numerous pictures displaying this issue.

merigoldman

Commendable
Oct 16, 2016
I am a father looking to get started in gaming for my daughter, without spending $3K but also without buying a worthless piece of crap. Trying to compare gaming systems and gaming PCs. I think it a reader disservice to recommend this as the best under $1000 entry gaming PC, and then review the $2500 model. When presented that way with that headline, it is only fair to review the machine one can buy for under $1000. You can upgrade to 999 but no more for this review. My 2 cents.

u2jimbo

Commendable
Nov 6, 2016
I just purchased a version of this machine that contained the i7-6700 CPU, 16gb memory, 850 watt air-cooled PSU, nVidia GTX 1080 GPU (1); Windows 10 Pro; 1TB HD; no SSD (I can buy and install one Samsung 256 SSD for less money than their unit price - $100); standard CD reader/writer; and WiFi. Full cost including tax and shipping to CA: $1719.87.
Purchased from Dell. My son gave me a HTC Vive VR system but I had no way to run it on my Mac Pro. This review indicates the Aurora pegged the needle on the VR scoring which is exactly what I wanted. I also wanted to have an easy pathway for upgrading hardware to keep up with what I anticipate will be a quickly advancing VR technology. I believe the Aurora system provides the 'best guess' option to allow future configuration. By the way, my son wanted me to build my own computer and provided all the cut sheets to purchase all the individual components that matched the Aurora. The vendors were all Low Price Leaders. The total for a build-it yourself unit was just over $2000.00. My son is an electrical engineer in Silicon Valley and plays with this stuff every day. This is not to say someone can't do better. Just that the Aurora unit seems to be a very competitive solution and a quality gaming PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.